Question For At&t Family Plan Customers....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UWfan206, Nov 4, 2011.

1. UWfan206 macrumors newbie

Okay first of all me and my wife are at&t customers and we each have an iphone with the data plan together. And the plan is not unlimited.

My question is I want to add another line that is unlimited no data plan and no smart phone to the current plan. I see that the individual unlimited plan is $69.00 (no data). Will it be cheaper if I add another line to the existing plan that me and my wife has or will I still have to pay the full $69.00. I am on a budget just wanted to know.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It probably would be best to contact AT&T. They will be able to give you all the numbers for any option you wish.

My guess is that it would need to be on a separate plan, because it's not sharing the family plan minutes.

3. nmork macrumors regular

This. Although it'd probably be cheaper if you just add another line and bump up the shared minutes.

4. dotme macrumors 6502a

This. Considerably cheaper. We have 4 iPhones on a family plan. 700 minutes of talk, which we never use much of (I think we're up to 6900 rollover minutes or some silly number). We do pay for unlimited text, but that also buys us unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling (to any US carrier) so its worth it. Plus my kids text at the alarming rate of about 3000 messages a month. Each.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or you can get the FamilyTalk Nation 700 plan and add the 30 unlimited text that includes unlimited talk to any mobile line."Family Messaging Unlimited with Mobile to Any Mobile Calling"

So with the text plan you basicly get unlimited talk on all 3 lines on the account. That's how mine is.

6. UWfan206 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay screw it. What if I add two more Iphones to my current plan. How much would data cost? What is your monthly bill?

7. dave006 Contributor

dave006

It would help to know the exact FamilyTalk rate plan that you are currently using as that would help determine the best solution.

Why do you want unlimited voice on the new line? For example, on this line, would the voice minutes be for mobile to mobile calls or to / from landlines?

As previously posted, it might make better sense to get an add-a-line to your FamilyTalk rate plan for $9.99 + the $30 Unlimited SMS Txt plan with the option to include unlimited mobile-to-any-mobile calling. So it might be possible to go with at 39.99 addition before taxes vs your proposed addition of the $69.99 unlimited voice only solution.

Dave

----------

Well you would have to add $15 200 MB DataPro data, $25 2 GB DataPro data or the DataPro $40 data plan for each additional iPhone.

Here is a handy link:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...ils.jsp?q_package=sku5370397&q_sku=sku5370395

Dave

8. dotme macrumors 6502a

Oh it's up there. About $250 or so with taxes and all the usual mystery fees. Our teens have jobs, so they contribute a little. That's a requirement. Plus, we slyly added their lines exactly one year into our contract.

That means each year, two of our four lines are up for renewal - and eligible for new iPhones. The parents get the new gear, the kids get the hand-me-downs. I'm sure going to miss them when they grow up and start families :D

9. Los macrumors regular

I can answer that, currently have 4 iPhones on our Family Account with the 700 minutes, unlimited texting with unlimited minutes to mobile phones, and 3 iPhone lines have the $15 Data Plan, while mine has the $30 Unlimited data Plan. We're paying around $240-$250?

It's not so bad with 4 iPhones, and we never go over our minutes now thanks to that unlimited texting plan, it's pretty neat.

10. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Call AT&T it is the best way, I did this last summer when I added my two sons and wife from Verizon, I was soley on AT&T with unlimited. They merged the 4 accounts into one in about 10 min.

11. VydorScope macrumors regular

VydorScope

Its pretty easy to work out:

So assume 4 phones.

Phone 1 - gets your base plan, pick one. I will use $70 for this example.

Each additional line $10 more a month to share your existing tier of minutes, so that is $30+base plan

I would add unlimited texting + unlimited any to any mobile so thats $30 more,that brings us up to $50 + base plan

Then data, I would suggest you likely want the 2gb plan which does not have tethering, so that is $80 for four iphones, which brings our running total to $130 + base plan.

Assuming you get no other options, which really there is not much left worth mentioning you are looking at around $130+Base Plan, so if we assume the $70 plan... thats $200+ tax a month.

Which means you can assume between 200-250 for your four iphones per month for "normal" plans.

12. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Ahhhh, such a fine, perfect, parenting moment!!!! :cool:

13. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

FWIW, on AT&T, this is our plan:

700 minutes, 4 lines, two have unlimited data, and unlimited texting.

That, with our FAN discount, brings us to around $180 a month.

$70 for the first two lines + $60 data for those two lines + $30 unlimited texting = $160 + $20 for two additional lines = $180 - FAN discount + taxes = ~$175.

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

We do the exact same thing for my company and for 5 people our bill is just slightly over $200 per month including all taxes and fees. We text like crazy and phone minutes between each other are free leaving our minutes to talk to customers.

It is a win-win for us and it is the only good advice I ever got from a AT&T salesperson

15. marci65 macrumors newbie

I have almost the same setup as you. My DS and I have iPhones on our Fam Plan (700 minutes + unlimited texting). DH has a regular phone with no data plan. $10/month additional for him.

Over the summer, I added my mom to our plan. She has a basic phone with no data. So she uses part of our 700 mins and unlimited texting if she wanted to text. $10 for her each month, but it cost $36 to activate her new phone, plus the cost of her phone (she didn't want a freebie phone).

I hope that helped some.

16. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Exactly what we have but i have the $25 2GB data plan for my iPhone and the bills comes out to be about $170 a month after fan discount