Question for members who have new and had 1st gen too

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Opie, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

just a quick question for people who have had both iphones. i know its only been 3 days but is the iphone 3g worth getting? i have a 16g original and i do have 3g coverage in my area but i wanted some honest opinions. thanks for the info.

2. harodude macrumors regular

Well, I can speak up, as I do have both.. iPhone 2G 4gb. and iPhone 3G 16gb. White

It is very nice to be able to download an app without any jailbreaking needed, or any other means of "hacking".

Its pretty sweet having a decent GPS, and somewhat Broadband Connection in your hand.

I would get it if you are eligible for upgrade! which you are cause youve got the original!

3. gentlegiantcrai macrumors regular

In my opinion, I think that the 3g Iphone is worth getting.
    I got the 2g Iphone when it first came out, and now with the 3g iphone, I am able to be more of a data hog, especially with using the AOL radio app all the time. It really varies by personal use, if you use the internet on the iphone everyday, then I would suggest the 3g, but if not then no.

4. chopper dave macrumors regular

better with ebay

It's only worth it IMO if you can sell your old one for a good amount. If you sell internationally, there is still a market for countries without 3G or with horrendous contracts (Canada/Rodgers anyone?)

In my case, I sold my 1st gen 8GB for $400, (pristine condition, I had a good case) then bought a 16 GB 3G for $300, paying an extra $240 for the 3G data over 2 years. The total cost for the new 3G phone over the 1st gen is then only $140, and I went from 8 to 16GB. That is something I can definitely afford- like only $5 per month.

That's about what I am willing to pay for the extra speed, which is nice but not necessarily a deal-breaker. I'm most excited about GPS and the improved reception.

5. Opie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Opie

6. dwreck macrumors member

I have an 8 GB first gen iPhone that I got in December, the day my Sprint contract expired. I picked up a 16 GB black iPhone 3G yesterday, but after only a day, I'm starting to think about taking it back and going back to my first gen iPhone.

Honestly, I think the only thing I'll really miss is the extra 8 GB. I live in San Francisco, but the 3G speeds haven't been phenomenal, and the pinpointed GPS is not really any more helpful than the faux-GPS of the original. On top of it all, I find that I miss the design and heft of my original.

I only hope it's simple to return the 3G and go back to my original...I realize I'll have to pay the 10% fee, but that's only $30.

7. kleo macrumors regular

I dont think the return of the iPhone 3G hardware is going to be that hard at all. But you did sign a new 2 year agreement with a higher monthly data price. I dont think they would ever refund this extra $10-15 a month charge.

8. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Depends on your needs and wants

If you have the money and want it, go for it

If you have a little tight and/or don't want to spend if you don't have to, ask yourself if your city has 3G and whether you have Wifi daily?

My city does have 3G but I am around Wifi almost all day so I choose to keep my original iPhone for a few more weeks at LEAST because I got v. 2 software and am content doing what I am doing and NOT feeling as if I missed out

9. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

seriously. Now that I look back. I would of been happy with the old iphone.

I have alot of 3g coverage on block away from my house. But my house doesn't get any so I have to settle with Wifi. At work, i have good 3g coverage, but I have wifi there. So do I really need 3g? doesn't seem like it was the logical choice.

The fact that you can get 2.0 in the first iphone and if you are around high speed wifi.... then 200 bucks is not worth it. what's made me by the new phone was

A) im a freak and I need the hottest phone. and White's hot.

B) I'm hedging my bets that I don't need wifi. I do use my phone for internet browsing about one hour per day.

But I don't absolutely "need" it. and at home, i turn of the 3g so i pretty much paid 300 bucks for a white back. (doesn't a company do that for 100 bucks). oh and I pay 15 bucks more on my plan (even tho i get corporate fan discount).

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

11. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I think for me it comes down to this: Much better call quality and volume. Better speakerphone quality for sure. It feels even better in the hand than the first. And the 3G speed takes it from painful to great. A great step forward imo.

12. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

One thing I really don't like about my old iPhone is space though

8 gigs is not enough for me so if you want more space, then yes....go big