Question for my fitness fanatic folks (phone size)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ARizz44, Sep 22, 2016.

1. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

Whether it be joggers/runners, global gym lifters, crossfitters, etc....have any of you purposefully gone with one sized phone over the other because of how it interacts with your fitness lifestyle? Was the plus too big? Or perhaps did it work better in some way or you found ways to make it work? Was the 4.7 simply more convenient? Thank you in advance for your input.

2. kuechi macrumors member

I have the plus model. I'm not that fut but I do run. I notice that the plus model is just to big for person who moves all the time. I fi didnt consider about the camera. I would pick the 7 only.

3. dwendz23 macrumors member

I don't run or do cardio, but I do lift, and the size of my 7 plus is more than fine. I also have wireless earphones now and it's amazing how much more convenient my workouts are without a wire getting in the way.

4. kuechi macrumors member

True lofting is really fine when you have a big phone because you could just swt it aside and lift but when you do cardio stuff like long runs, cycing, and mtbing. That phone is really big. Still I cycled with my plus before.

5. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I used to lift, now mainly run (4-6 miles on a normal run, marathon the longest I have ran with the plus sized phone). I don't find the size to be a problem at all.

I tried the normal seven, and quickly moved back to the 7 plus.

For running, I use a flip belt. But I have a series 2 watch coming, so I imagine I won't be running with the phone for much longer

6. airjay75 macrumors regular

I'm a very active person. I run every other day, lift every other day, and walk/hike with my dog over 10 miles per week. I have done ok with the 6+ and the 6s+ these past two years. It fit in my pocket and was ok for my gym trips. I gave up running with it outside because it was simply too big for a running belt or armband. This past week, I switched to the regular 7 and I couldn't be happier. I ran with my iPhone for the first time in over two years using a running belt. It was great - I simply couldn't do that comfortably with the Plus. Even going to the gym and lifting, it is just so much nicer to have a lighter, more portable iPhone with me. I don't feel like I'm lugging around a small brick in my pocket. I literally feel like a weight has been lifted off of me. For me and my active lifestyle, the regular size iPhone just works so much better, but it took me several years to realize it. I do not miss the larger screen at all. Of course, YMMV. This really is all a matter of personal preference. For me, I can say unequivocally that I am happier with the regular size iPhone.

7. BD1 macrumors 6502

+1 for flip belt with plus iPhone. Works great and prefer it to armbands even with a smaller phone.

8. airjay75 macrumors regular

I tried using the Plus in flip belt, but it took up over half the width of my body. It just didn't feel comfortable running with that on my waist.

9. tl01 macrumors 68000

I am a female who runs and I have a 7 plus and had a 6s plus. I wear my Apple Watch and carry my phone in my hand when I run. I have an iRing on the back of my phone case and it makes running with the phone easy. I also wear a pouch around my waist for water that can hold my phone too. I am totally in the minority though. No one else in my running group does it my way;). I like to change music a lot and so it works for me to do it this way.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    When I wear my plus in my flip belt I spin he phone to my back and it fees fine there to me.

10. Rangers94 macrumors regular

Rangers94

I'm coming from the iPhone 6s Plus and decided to go with 7 4.7" for one of the reasons you pointed out. Im very active and the plus was cumbersome and would be annoying whether it be fitting it into gym pockets, handling etc. Having the 4.7" form factor back in my hands feels so good. It's much lighter and easier to pocket and one handed use is not to be under estimated. I've also gotten used to the smaller screen and to be honest it's plenty big. It's a phone..when I'm out and about it's a pleasure. When I'm home and want to consume media I go to my 9.7" iPad Pro that is better than the plus phone anyway.

Don't get me wrong the bigger 5.5" screen was nice but not worth the hassle considering my lifestyle and how active I am. When Apple reduces the bezels I'm in.

Bottom line..I switched back to the 4.7" and couldn't be happier. It just feels right in my hand. :)

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I run every day but usually only run with my phone in unfamiliar areas. Went with the regular 7 because the + is too big to comfortably carry in hand when I need to run in a place where I need constant guidance, and too big to fit in the dedicated phone pockets in my hydration packs. The 7 barely fits in my flip belt. I'm surprised to hear people are fitting plus models in there.

12. roadie1 macrumors newbie

The 7 is my third Plus size phone. I race mountain bikes and train on the road and trail. I always my phone with me. The 7 fits in my jersey pocket just fine.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I run daily, go to the gym a few times a week and bike occasionally. I try and steal my sons SE for most of this, particularly running. But that doesn't always pan out.

I have a 6s plus. It's a bit cumbersome for working out but manageable (in not some crazy marathoner or body builder mind you). I do much prefer the smaller size. Lately for runs I've been taking a flip phone since the Apple Watch series two can now track my runs the way I always wanted. That is for times when I can't use the SE for 1-2 hours.

14. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

I run about 4 to 5 times a week, shorter runs on weekdays and longer runs on the weekend. I've used a Garmin watch for the last few years (have the Forerunner 235 now) so don't have to worry about using my phone for GPS. Still, I always bring my phone with me just in case I need it. I've been using a 4.7" iPhone for the past few years and can't imagine using anything larger. I hate belts and keep my phone in my pocket when I run, and I can just imagine using something larger would be really cumbersome as I find the 4.7" size annoying enough. Most of my runner friends use the smaller size, though my cyclist buddies tend to have the larger. Better for navigation I guess and you can clip it to your bike.