Question for people thinking that the taller iPhone may be a fake...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CiccioAtSea, Aug 20, 2012.

1. CiccioAtSea macrumors regular

CiccioAtSea

I read many comments here from people saying that the taller iphone may just be a fake that apple put around to confuse people...

Can anybody explain me what apple would gain from this move?
    I mean... don't you think that this may be a problem more than a profit for apple?

I think that many people (not me!!) could decide to buy another phone instead of waiting for the new iPhone because of this "fake" leaks.. So why in the hell apple should say something like " ok, next iPhone will be a ******, run to the first shop and buy a sgs3!!" and then, after loosing millions of USD again " we were joking, of course, THIS is the new amazing iPhone!!"

Does anybody else get my point and think the same??
    I really like the design we are seeing in these leaks and can't wait to get one, my only doubt will be about the choice of the color!!

Sorry if my English is so poor but it's not my main language, hope everybody can understand my thoughts without any misunderstanding,

Thanks for your comments:)

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I agree with you. Some people are in denial here, "These leaks are fake, Apple put out these false rumors! OMGz!".

Except that these "fake" part leaks would only draw more attention to the fact a new iPhone is coming. Apple would potentially lose sales as people anticipate a new iPhone: people may just decide to buy another smartphone if they don't like the leaks, or antsy people may just buy something else in the interim (but never upgrade to an iPhone).

I'm not saying Apple doesn't start fake verbal rumors (ex. Tear-Drop iPhone), but I don't think they would do these fake part leaks. Also note how this is the ONLY iPhone rumor - surely we'd see another rumor if this was a fake leak (like we did last year with the real 4S rumor, and the tear-drop one).

3. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I do not think it is a fake, I just hope it is. I have no desire for the phone to be only taller, and I do not like the two toned back.

The way I could see Apple benefiting from it being a fake is the media reaction and all the coverage that will follow. Also, It would be pretty impressive if Apple pulled it off in order to hide the real phone they were working on/producing.

An example of this: thechive.com created a couple hoaxes that blew up on the internet, which got them free publicity. The Chive is a site featuring hot girls, funny pictures, and funny videos. It now has much more significant traffic and awareness because of the hoaxes they created that went viral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chive

Again, Do I think they are really doing that? No, but I can dream.

----------

Yet... the sales are down... but their stock is WAY up... and still going up... $651.41 (according to my stocks app right now).

I am not saying you are wrong, but the parts leaks (and possibility of the iPad Mini) are sending their stocks soaring, cuz the sales are not causing it.

ADDITIONAL: The Tear Drop rumor would have hurt them more than this rumor (if it were fake)... because we were seeing the tear drop as a bigger 3:2 phone... and then got the 4S. At least in this situation, it is a "new" design either way

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Sales will ultimately dictate stock prices; see Palm in 2009 with the Pre announcement then the sales months later (prices tanked).

Also, obviously I'm only assuming the tear-drop case as Apple's rumor. But, my original point stands that starting 'fake' part leaks/rumors may hurt Apple more than help them in the long run.