Question for people who have ripped their DVDs AND who value surround.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by kavika411, Nov 23, 2007.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I make this inquiry in the iTunes forum because, in a perfect world, iTunes would hold all my music, podcasts, etc - especially my DVDs. I would like to know from people who have ripped their DVDs to their Mac computers whether they are satisfied that they have captured the surround audio. What I mean is this; based on my reading of other threads and articles, neither AppleTV nor iTunes currently support 5.1 audio in a simple, straightforward way. Yes, I am aware that there are people who can explain, using words and lingo I can't begin to understand, how iTunes/AppleTV support 5.1. But my point is that I think we all can agree that iTunes/AppleTV do not support 5.1 for those of us with the most basic understanding of computers and audio equipment.

Where am I going with this? Before I begin ripping my DVD library, I want to know that the day iTunes/AppleTV have idiot-friendly 5.1 support, that I won't have to re-rip my DVDs. So, for those of you who value 5.1, who want to play your DVDs through iTunes, and who have ripped your DVDs, are you satisfied that you won't have to do it again one day? I greatly appreciate your opinion.

Thank you for your comments.

2. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

what are you going to be playing the movies on? your mac? attached to AV receiver? I have been ripping my movies to iTunes and streaming to :apple:TV and am very satisfied. They play and sound great with DPLIIx decoding on my receiver. I think the only 5.1 that will come to iTunes is AAC5.1 if/when receivers support it. If it would happen I would test 5.1 to see if it would be worth re-ripping.

3. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Thank you for your reply. I guess my thinking is that if I were to rip my DVDs to my Mac, I would then play them through iTunes, and through AppleTV, and then through my Mirantz receiver/amp 7300. I hope that answers your question. Also, I guess I should clarify something - I use the phrase "5.1" but I guess I just mean surround. Again, thanks for your response.