question for the iphone users: why did you guys buy the iphone rather than the others

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ryanleung, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Ryanleung macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I am a new here,
    just a question for the iphone users: why did you guys buy an iphone rather than others? :confused::)

2. jduff macrumors newbie

3. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

iOS and a heavy investment in apps given that I came from an iPod touch prior to the iPhone. My first iPhone was the 3G, I skipped the 3GS, and got the iPhone 4.

I've got well over 200 apps now, the vast majority of them paid rather than free/lite editions. I'm too heavily invested into the App Store now to ditch the iPhone for another device, but then I prefer iOS to Android and it's various manufacturer skins out there.

Just my opinion.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

5. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I bought an iPhone because Steve Jobs told me to

6. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Simplicity, functionality, etc.

I can seamlessly sync my apps and music to my phone from my MBP. Plus, with amount of money that I have invested in apps that I have purchased, it just would be a waste of money to migrate over to another smartphone. I have tried BlackBerry and Android for a week or so, but I always go back to my iPhone because it just works.

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I'm on my second iphone. Prior to that i was using an HTC winmob device. It worked fine, but was a hassle to keep synched with my Mac. I went for the iPhone because I just want to use it - not faff with it. It's the whole Mac/iTunes/iPhone end to end experience that sold me. Like the ads say "it just works". I spend most of my working life beating various computing hardware into submission. I don't want to have to do that with my own gear.

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

At the time, there wasn't much competition and nothing really comparible so it was an easy choice.

9. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Honestly? I bought in to all the hype. Had a T-Mobile Dash previously. Then switched over to AT&T where I then got a HTC Tilt since it was a "smartphone." :eek: Hated the whole stylus thing and ultimately (at the behest of numerous co-workers) broke down and became "one of them" when I got my 3G. Since that point, and after spending about $400 in apps, I realized that I would never go to any other phone except an iPhone. The fish hook is still in my mouth and it would appear they'll never stop reeling me in.

10. OllyW, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

There weren't many others when I bought my first iPhone (3G). I had a look at the Palm Pre which was interesting but the screen was too small and the build quality looked questionable. Android phones didn't have much presence in the UK back then so as a Mac user, the iPhone was a simple choice.

11. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Your profile pic cracks me up. :D

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Simple....because RIM cannot seem to figure out how to quit putting 4 year old tech in their phones.

13. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

For me it's the intigration of hardware and software. Apple designs the product and the software that runs on it. I also like the fact they control (lock down) the device. I seldom worry about viruses/bugs/etc. It just works.

The hardware is a source of pride for Apple. They really go out of their way to provide eloquently feeling devices. They have the money and resources to provide top notch products at less than what can be provided by the competition.

Finally, the ecosystem. As a personal user, I use my iPhone mainly for the experience. I dont require exchange service through work. I can check my email, surf the web, share contacts, etc effortlessly. The investment in music, movies, apps, etc also keep me squarely on the Apple side.

It doesn't hurt I use Apple computers and have iPads as well.

14. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

Honestly I liked the idea of having 3 devices consolidated into one device. My iphone is my mobile mp3 player, my cell phone, and my internet browsing device. Everything else is icing on the cake. My first was an iphone 3G, then a 3GS, and now an iPhone 4. I'm comming from using blackberries, windows mobile phones, and flip/candybar phones. All of those (accept for some flip/candy bar phones) were very annoying to have to troubleshoot or get to work right out of the box. With the iphone you just sync your **** and your done.

I've stayed with iPhone because I've sampled some of the other OS's and don't think that those phones/OS's are ready to replace my daily driver just yet. There's always some feature missing that I just can't yet live without. iPhone still wows me and makes me proud to carry one around in my pocket because... "It just works".

15. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Haha I must say it is kinda hilarious when others get angry and call me an iOS fanboy for simply owning one and nothing else :D

16. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I got my first iPhone about a month after the original was released. At that point it was either an iPhone or a Blackberry. Don't really have a very constructive reason why I chose one over the other, but at the time I was wooed by the (now realatively simple) concept of my iPod and phone on one device.

And I've been hooked since. If I was buying my first smart phone today would I get an iPhone? Not necessarily. But I've invested enough in the ecosystem to stay, and there isn't anything about my iPhone 4 with iOS 4 installed that I hate enough to make a switch (and with iOS 5 its only going to get better).

17. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

My first iPhone was the 3G and there wasn't really any competing phone out there at the time. I rolled right into the 4 at my two year renewal date.

18. driver0596 macrumors newbie

I bought the iPhone 3GS because I liked the music in the commercial.

19. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

A few years ago, I left blackberry and went to iPhone because it allowed me to have different organized email accounts. Blackberry joined all emails into one Inbox at the time. From then I have found many more reasons to love my phone. Too many to type on phone. In addition, it's an apple product :).

20. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

There is nothing that comes close to the iPhone to me. I've tried switching to other devices, it didn't work. I switch when the 3G came out from the blackberry family. I enjoy personal entertainment on the go, and having the Internet with me. The iPhone couldn't do it any easier & the syncing is incredible as everything I use is Apple.

21. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

For me it came down to the user experience. I have a MacBook Pro, I have iPods - it just makes things easier to just plug my phone into my MacBook and have everything sync easily.

22. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

I've been an Apple user since the very late 70's so I knew it would be good.

23. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

^ This, plus ease of use and simplicity for a device that does so much.

24. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Because once you use an iPhone no matter how locked up, the other OS based phones always disappointed me. Even the latest and greatest due to the small quirks that make you change some of your habits. I am not gonna let a phone change my lifestyle. Surprisingly iPhone doesn't get much into my way compared to other non-locked up ones :p

25. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I got mine when I broke my LG Keybo :)p). Walked into the Telus store, got a 3Gs and never looked back.