Question for those who picked the 6 over 6 plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by evaporateddwarf, Oct 28, 2014.

1. evaporateddwarf macrumors regular

I just ordered an iPhone 6 through AT&T next. A (somewhat wealthy) friend always buys a few dozen iPhones each year to resell. He offered to sell me a once opened AT&T iPhone 6+ 64gb for $400. It's under contract, so it's not unlocked, but I've known him for a long time and am not worried I'm getting screwed. He did it as a favor cause Ive known him for a while and helped with stuff in the past.

Would you who bought the 6 instead of the 6 plus go for this for the pricebreak? I'm not going to flip it, but am thinking it's both a) cheaper, and b) it means I own it off own contract (monthly plan savings) even if it's still locked, and could sell it in a year to get the 6s.

I like the plus for usability, but originally went for the 6 cause I know it'll fit in my pocket/be more portable. No iPad fyi (though I've thought of getting the air 2).

2. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

That's less than half price. I would have jumped all over that even though I prefer the 6 over the 6+.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Same here. A great deal on something that's going to be a pain isn't a great deal. I would have preferred a 6+ but I carry my phone in my shirt pocket and I don't know if all my pockets are wide enough for the 6+ and I certainly don't want it sticking up out of my pocket a few inches like a pocket square.

But to each their own. I think you made the right decision.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

I chose the 6 because it ISN'T as large as the 6+. The 6 fits my usage better.

If someone gave me a free 6+ (and it wouldn't offend them) I'd sell it and use the proceeds for the 6.

5. davewolfs macrumors regular

6+ is a big ass phone. Would not do this deal as I have no desire for a plus.

I also wouldn't go with Next either but for some people I guess it works.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

I would also sell it and just buy a 6. The 6 Plus is a huge phone. I can still do most things with my 6 one handed, comfortably fit it in all of my pockets, and take it to the gym and on runs. If the 6 fits your needs better then don't settle for the Plus. Get the phone you really want. I'm sure someone would be willing to pay you at or above retail for that 6 Plus.

7. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

$400 is a steal of a deal for the iPhone 6 Plus but it's still money you would be wasting on a product you don't want. There are many things you can get for that same $400 that you would use. Let's list some items out so you can have some perspective:

1. iPad Mini 3
    2. 40" or more 1080p Large Screen TV
    3. XBOX One
    4. iPad Air 1
    5. Premium Headphones or Bluetooth Speakers

Unless you plan on flipping the phone to make money, why bother? Besides, why not wait until the 6S comes out in less than a year then get in on his deal at that time?

8. evaporateddwarf thread starter macrumors regular

Well, either way im getting a new phone, so I'll be spending money either way. 6 still hasn't arrived, so I'd just cancel/return the order. It'd save me money to do this than get a 6.

To those talking att next or not. done the math, for me it makes sense.

9. Damolee macrumors 6502

Went for the 6 and have an iPad Air.

Covers both aspects. I guess a 6+ is more of a "one fits all" sort of phone so I understand the appeal.

My biggest gripe with phones of that size (after having a Note) is keeping them safe under certain situations.

Taking pics when your out and about can be cumbersome and even commuting during the winter months with a big phone can be a nuisance. Only one that gets a pass from me is the Xperia Z2\Z3 because of the true water proofing.

10. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

I bought the 6 from always using a 3.5 inch screen (never owned 5 or 5s). I am somewhat regretting my decision now though after seeing others with the 6+. I wish I'd gone with it. I say go for the deal, get the 6+.

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I got my 6 on launch day and wish I had a 6+

12. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

I would be very tempted to get the 6+ at that amazing price. If you decided to keep the 6, you could sell the 6+ and pay off the 6 you have on the Next program. That is if you think it won't offend your friend to sell it. Or, maybe you can ask your friend to wait until you get the 6, so you can compare and then decide which one you like best.

13. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

I like my 6. A lot.
    I wouldn't mind having a 6+ as a second phone and swap the sim back and forth, but for me, it's the 6.

14. newellj macrumors 603

Right. The 6+ is attractive but I need shirt pocket carry and one hand operation.

15. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

The 6+ is a beautiful piece of tech, but not for me. Unless I was trying to make money on this deal I would turn it down. The main issue I have with my 6 (not plus) is portability. It is not as easy to carry in my purse and while it fits in most pockets, I am always afraid of scratching or bending it while it is there even though it has an Apple leather case on. I love this phone and am not willing to go back to a smaller less powerful one, but I miss how easy it was to take my iPhone 5 anywhere with me.