Question for Trump supporters

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
NBC ran a story about Trump and nuclear weapons and predictably Trump went on a tirade on Twitter this morning calling it fake news and saying NBC’s license should be revoked.

So I have a question for Trump supporters. Do you care whether or not he gets actual policy wins/legislation passed so long as he validates your world view/keeps giving you these empty calories in the form of red meat culture wars? Does it matter if you get a wall? Or is picking fights on Twitter, responding to every media story, being the ultimate counter puncher satisfying you? I get the feeling for die hard Trump supporters all that matters is taking on the media. But I do wonder if working class voters in the midwest/rust belt that maybe aren’t Trump die hards are expecting more than bluster on Twitter?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Smokescreen and mirrors - a terrific "show."

Meanwhile America is getting fleeced.

I know - you wanted opinions from Trump supporters.

Reactions: OttawaGuy

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
All that matters to Trump supporters is he perpetuates the chaos syndrome that has taken over our political system. How many voters on both sides (Sanders/Trump) just wanted to send their given candidate to Washington to "Blow it up". Whether that be the "establishment" or the "1% that controls everything". At this point results matter less to these people then the systemic destruction of our political system.

Reactions: hulugu and VulchR

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
All that matters to Trump supporters is he perpetuates the chaos syndrome that has taken over our political system. How many voters on both sides (Sanders/Trump) just wanted to send their given candidate to Washington to "Blow it up". Whether that be the "establishment" or the "1% that controls everything". At this point results matter less to these people then the systemic destruction of our political system.
It’s grievance politics which It’s just a perpetual state of outrage, whining and being screwed by someone.

DearthnVader

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
The economy is working as well as we can expect, given the current system.

So, the less the Federal government does, the better off we'll all be.

Not really a fan of Trump tweets, if I didn't come to PRSI, I wouldn't know they existed.

If the economy tanks, and the Federal government tries to bailout anyone, then I will have a problem with Trump.

The next time the banking system is on the verge of collapse, he should tell them to," Go fly a kite".

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
NBC ran a story about Trump and nuclear weapons and predictably Trump went on a tirade on Twitter this morning calling it fake news and saying NBC’s license should be revoked.

So I have a question for Trump supporters. Do you care whether or not he gets actual policy wins/legislation passed so long as he validates your world view/keeps giving you these empty calories in the form of red meat culture wars? Does it matter if you get a wall? Or is picking fights on Twitter, responding to every media story, being the ultimate counter puncher satisfying you? I get the feeling for die hard Trump supporters all that matters is taking on the media. But I do wonder if working class voters in the midwest/rust belt that maybe aren’t Trump die hards are expecting more than bluster on Twitter?
Some people here have admitted they just want to see him fighting left wing policies/people/groups etc. I get it though. Some people just want a fight, they want that gamble of whether or not they’ll win the fight. I’ve been there a while ago too and it is a thrill. Now I get my thrills from Nintendo Switch games :D

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Trump supporters love smoke and mirrors. They can’t admit that their president and party only care about themselves and not the constituents. Tare down Washington we don’t care if we end up as collateral damage just make the other guy look bad.

Even after it’s too late they will still blame it on the other guy.

Reactions: OttawaGuy

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
I think NBC’s license should be revoked for trying to kill Ronan Farrow's Harvey Weinstein story.
I don't see legally how anyone's license could be revoked for either this or Trump's beef, a network does have freedom of speech after all. But it was interesting hearing Ronan Farrow and Rachel Maddow discussing NBC last night and being openly critical of them on NBC's own airwaves. That is unusal in the broadcasting world.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
The economy is working as well as we can expect, given the current system.

So, the less the Federal government does, the better off we'll all be.

Not really a fan of Trump tweets, if I didn't come to PRSI, I wouldn't know they existed.

If the economy tanks, and the Federal government tries to bailout anyone, then I will have a problem with Trump.

The next time the banking system is on the verge of collapse, he should tell them to," Go fly a kite".
Well he probably won't have to tell them that quite yet... but banks do report 3Q results starting tomorrow with Chase and Citi; on Friday Bank of America and Wells Fargo; next week Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley. So WSJ City offers "five things to watch for".. and somehow Trump's instructions didn't make the cut this time. That doesn't mean all the expectations are on the awesome side.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I think NBC’s license should be revoked for trying to kill Ronan Farrow's Harvey Weinstein story.
By that logic Fox News should lose its license for constantly reporting garbage.

The FCC won’t revoke a broadcast license unless they continue to overshoot their permitted radiated power or don’t adhere to broadcast standards. Even then all that would likely happen is a huge fine.

DearthnVader

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
By that logic Fox News should lose its license for constantly reporting garbage.

The FCC won’t revoke a broadcast license unless they continue to overshoot their permitted radiated power or don’t adhere to broadcast standards. Even then all that would likely happen is a huge fine.
Not sure the FCC has any say over cable stations, as they don't use the public air waves.

Certainly Fox News radio tho.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
Trump will be on Hannity tonight. No fake news there, just honest, hard-hitting questions. A great way to combat the #fakenews.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Not sure the FCC has any say over cable stations, as they don't use the public air waves.

Certainly Fox News radio tho.
The FCC can go after the affiliates license but not really the cable side unless there is an indecency complaint. But even then cable is not under the indecency guidelines. It’s more self imposed.

Reactions: IronWaffle

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Imagine what the Sean Hannity’s of the world would be saying if Obama said this while President. Hannity and talk radio would be losing their minds.

Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)
10/11/17, 7:09 PM
Network news has become so partisan, distorted and fake that licenses must be challenged and, if appropriate, revoked. Not fair to public!

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon

Based on the fact that most supporters do not check facts...

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2995128

I would have to say it's the promises and sound bites that people listen to. Substance does not have to follow for most supporters. For example:

(Tax breaks) will benefit the wealthy a lot more than anyone else. Trump sells it as tax breaks for all, but it is not evenly distributed. The wealthy get more benefits than the rest of us. The average person does not seem to care their tax breaks are not going to be as big a deal as Trump promises.

(Coal Jobs) He did away with Obama's plan, but I have not heard of any real resurgence of coal jobs. The Obama plan had not even been implemented yet. If the jobs weren't there before they are not going to be there now. Natural gas is king. Most people do not bother to read up on the topic so they just assume Trump is bringing the coal industry back.

(Jobs) Remember the big deal he made out of the few companies he highlighted, and took credit for keeping jobs in the USA? Most are going to ship jobs overseas anyway. Most supporters have not followed up and could care less.

(Patriotism) He made such an issue out of standing for the national anthem, but seems to say very little about racism and inequality in "Our great country".

(Wall) During the campaign it was said that Mexico would pay for the wall and everyone cheered. Well it appears WE ARE PAYING FOR THE WALL, and they still cheer. Go figure.

(Weinstein) The latest sounds bites point fingers at Democrats for not speaking up soon enough about Harvey's misdeeds and then the right calls for the left to return campaign contributions. I wonder who received campaign contributions from Roger Ailes or Bill O'Reilly? How many Republicans called for their constituents to return that money? What about the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES on tape talking about grabbing woman and getting away with it? Oh Ya, locker room talk.

His supporters will believe whatever they are told no questions asked and seem to ignore the rest, or deflect and argue something else. The right will be quick to add Bill Clinton to that list, but none have condemned anyone from Fox.
[doublepost=1507775553][/doublepost]
Trump will be on Hannity tonight. No fake news there, just honest, hard-hitting questions. A great way to combat the #fakenews.
Hard hitting Hannity:

The PolitiFact scorecard