Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Question for UK EE members only

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Are you using an iPhone 5?
Simple really. I called EE and asked them whether I could buy a SIM Only for my iPhone 5 and they said that the iPhone 5 cannot use 4G on their Network.
True, False, or depends on something else?

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
dave, I have a uk launch date iPhone 5 on EE sim only... works perfect! AND EE just dropped their sim only prices.

The CDMA version was never a UK supplied model, ours are all GSM.

terryrogers

macrumors newbie
I was under the impression that although the iPhone 5 is a 4G enabled device the UK bandwidths used by UK carriers are not amongst those that the 5 support.

The 5S has a larger array of LTE bands supported and hence is was the first compatible 4G phone usable in the UK.

(I'm on EE and have a 4G plan with an iPhone 5S)

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Berlin
The 5 could support 4G/LTE on Three, EE and that's about it if I remember correctly, won't work on Vodafone or O2

bransoj

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2013
I was under the impression that although the iPhone 5 is a 4G enabled device the UK bandwidths used by UK carriers are not amongst those that the 5 support.

The 5S has a larger array of LTE bands supported and hence is was the first compatible 4G phone usable in the UK.

I'm using my launch day iPhone 5 with 3 and pick up 4g\LTE when in places where its available...in fact i had it for a while whilst in Derby last weekend and previously in Sheffield. My wife picked up a 5S when she upgraded and did offer to let me have it and she would use my 5 but she's with O2 which meant she wouldnt be able to use the 4G part of her contract as the 5 doesnt pick up O2s 4G signal.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

The iPhone 5 supports the frequencies used by EE, just not those used by O2 (the 800mhz spectrum in particular).

sammy-boy

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Staffordshire, UK
My iPhone 5 works fine on EE's 4G network (using a pay as you go sim), mine was bought secondhand from a CEX store at the beginning of this year.

As already stated won't work on O2's 4G, not much of it round me but certainly not a peep 4G wise on my O2 contract sim as expected!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.