Question gay marriage in MA and lose your job

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CorvusCamenarum, Nov 11, 2009.

1. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Story here

While the guy was stupid for opening his mouth, one can only wonder if he has a case here. The way the article tells the story (and I'm sure there's more to it that what we're told), it wasn't his instigation.

But hey, it's still an idea - let's just fire everyone who disagrees. That'll teach them good.

2. Queso macrumors G4

I'm sure once more details about this guy come out we'll discover there's more to this story.

In my experience bad employees always try and play the downtrodden rebel card when the company they work for finally says enough is enough. Normally because they're so unable to see just how bad they are.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I feel your thread title is disingenuous. She announces a personal event to colleagues, one which is legal in the state; why should she be closeted and gagged from doing so? And instead of keeping his tongue...

The news story states:

So, who knows what he said? And what's more, he doesn't deny it, instead making himself out to be a victim and posting his whining on a homophobic blog. Sounds like he wasn't fired for being a Christian, sounds like he was fired for being an arsehole. There's a difference.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I wish we knew - the article just says that he "expressed his disapproval of same-sex marriage." Probably not a smart idea, certainly to the face of the woman who was announcing her upcoming marriage.

But what I'm most curious about is the wording of the letter he got from Brookstone:
    Emphasis mine. I'm curious if he was actually trying to force her not to marry her partner, or otherwise threaten some sort of recourse in the workplace if she did so. Otherwise, it seems to me that simply stating your own belief as your own does not "impose" anything upon anybody; it's simply a discussion item at that point.

I do believe Brookstone might have had a case against him for harassment, depending on how he worded his opinion to the woman - but I'm really curious how they're stretching that into "imposing" his beliefs on others.

We may never know.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We need to know more about what he said. The title of this thread is quite misleading.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

She announces something, he objects, they get into what sounds like an argument, there may have been other witnesses nearby. She goes to HR, HR probably speaks to them both as well as other witnesses including line managers, to verify both accounts. HR, being what they are, would rule in favour of company policy and would be careful of staying within the law.

He, well within his rights to seek legal redress for what he implies is wrongful dismissal, instead posts a video on a website, implying victimisation on account of his religion and the media picks it up, and with little further comment from the employer, one-sidedly presents his narrative of events, setting us up for this thread.

If he crossed a line to the extent that HR gets involved, then he has no-one to blame but himself. His problems might not have happened if he had had the foresight to keep his trap shut, or even tried to work it out with HR and his colleague afterwards. If you're going to have the courage to stand by your convictions, be prepared to fall with them.

8. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

As I recall, I didn't link to his blog or whatever it was but a mainstream news source.

And yes it would be nice to know precisely what was said and to whom and how. Hopefully it will come out at a later date so we can see for ourselves.

Finally, I thought this thread would provide a nice dichotomy to the prom in Russellville, AL thread. You know, showing the flip side of things and all and to see how people react when the shoes are reversed.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

So you're advocating religious harassment? The guy obviously shot his mouth off against a legal act. He has no ground to stand on and is lucky he only got fired.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So, he should have more happen because he voiced his opinion? Nice.:rolleyes:

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

How are the "shoes reversed"? It's sounds like this guy was harassing this woman. We still don't know the whole story, but I think we can be sure he's not telling it all.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That's a pretty big leap there from the limited information presented.

13. Queso macrumors G4

How exactly are the shoes here reversed though? The girl in the prom thread was not expelled after launching a tirade of abuse at the principal, which would make the two stories parallel. This man here did not ask for his preacher to be permitted to shop at the store and get refused, which once again would bring the stories into line. The behaviour of the lead participant is essential in how these situations are being perceived, so you can't blame posters here for different reactions.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Again, we don't know the whole story. This guy could have persisted is harassing his co-worker and refusing to stop. No matter what your beliefs or position, if you're asked to stop doing something at work and refuse, you're gonna get fired.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Gotta love the irony.

16. Shivetya macrumors 65816

They don't reproduce, so whats the problem?

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

18. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Comments like this are meant to be purely inflammatory and you know it; it is the definition of trolling. Can't you (and several other posters on here) get a new trick already? This one is boring.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Not only that but it shows a complete misunderstanding of genetics. It's announcing one's ignorance.

20. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

So we're only allowed to disagree if we keep it to ourselves? Perhaps you could go round with a sign that reads "Quiet please - liberals being enlightened here.". Voters in CA 'shot their mouths off' against an at the time legal act. What manner of silencing them would you consider acceptable?

I'm not quite sure how expressing disapproval is considered harassment. The way the article reads, she brought it up first, and continued to do so after she learned his views on the matter. That would make *her* the harasser, not him. But you're right in that we don't know the whole story. I'll keep digging and see if I can find out something more.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thanks- it'll be interesting to see what turns up.

22. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Well for starters, here's the termination letter. It's a PDF

Another article from The Advocate. I don't know it very well; it looks to be a gay-centric publication. link
    This is in the comments section, and deserves repeating:
    This one here is just some random blog, but it does bring up an interesting point in that it seems as though the offended was trying to bait the terminated into saying something stupid. link

23. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

24. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Did he say "I don't really like the thought of gay marriage, it's seems unnatural to me" or "You're going to Hell for that, you god-less b*itch", because there's quite a bit of difference in how things like this are worded.

(Please, don't take my quotations so seriously)

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The Advocate is a very respected news source in the gay community. It's been around for a very long time.