Question: If I clone tiger to my EHD, can I access the data in a new leopard MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tkjazzer, May 26, 2008.

1. tkjazzer macrumors 6502

Hello,

I'm about to take my broken Keyboard/Track Pad on my MBP to the Macstore. Of course I need to back my stuff up first.

I just discovered cloning but I really don't know how it works.

However, my only question is:
    I they decide to replace my computer with a new MBP with leopard, will the clone of my Tiger MBP 10.4.11 be useless or will the new Leopard computer be able to retrieve all of my stuff?

Should I look in to multiple ways of backing up?

Like clone plus other ways in case they replace my computer with a Leopard MBP?

Thank you!

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

you will be able to access the clone on Leopard to drag-and-drop data, and you will also be able to use the Migration Assistant to migrate your Tiger system over to Leopard (yes, even from an external HD)

3. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Well, if the keyboard and track pad are broken I'm guessing you are using external keyboard and mouse at the moment. If you have another Mac, you can always do Target mode and get you stuff off the drive that way but my guess would be no. You could ask the people at the store to possibly help you with that if you bring an external drive with you. But I would call ahead and ask if they could help you with that.

Cloning is nice but the only folder you really need to get is your home folder which is were everything you have is stored. The applications can be reinstalled if they wipe out your drive. But if you want to Clone there is Cardon Copy Cloner: http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html and Super Duper: http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Cloning makes an exact duplicate of your drive to another drive. Then that other drive could be used to boot from, which is why i'm saying cloning isn't really necessary to save your files from being lost by Apple formatting the drive when they work on it.

But most times if they are just replacing a part that doesn't deal with the HD then they wont delete what is on the drive. Its only if the drive dies when they are working on it will they send it back with a fresh OS on it. You have a very slim chance of getting your MB replace completely with another MB, especially since its an older model that isn't old enough that they wouldn't have the parts. Only if you just purchased the laptop would they jump to giving you a new one right there at the store anyways. They will most likely send it out to be fixed.

4. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

True as that may be, don't let go of your MBP without having a backup of everything you want to keep. They may never touch the HD, everything may come back intact...don't take the risk. Treat it as if they're replacing the HD, and you'll be safe.

What I would do, honestly, is backup everything onto the external HD using Time Machine, then restore it from that backup when you get it back. Cloning startup disks back and forth can get kinda hairy sometimes. Personally, I would much rather use the opportunity to do a fresh install and restore all of my files to it.

5. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

The OP said they were using Tiger so no Time Machine :(

6. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Oops, sorry, I wasn't thinking.

In that case, I would just use Disk Utility to restore the startup disk to the external, then back again if the HD is wiped out during repair. However, I would opt for an archive and install of Tiger, since I don't think the restore from Disk Utility will be bootable (if I remember correctly, that will be the case, but I'm not 100% sure).

7. tkjazzer thread starter macrumors 6502