Question involving iPhone 3GS to Motorola backflip to iPhone 4S and unlimited data.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NoHo, Oct 13, 2011.

1. NoHo macrumors 6502

My iPhone 3GS broke 2 months ago and instead of getting the iPhone 4, I decided to wait awhile to see if there was a new iPhone coming out anytime soon. I had an unlimited data plan that I wanted to keep so I called AT&T and they said I could use any AT&T smart phone and keep my plan so a friend let me have their old Motorola Backflip to use in the mean time. When the 4S was announced, I preordered the second preorders opened up at 12am and ordered a white 4S 64gb through AT&T. I was given the option to keep my unlimited data plan, which I chose and the phone is currently en route to be delivered tomorrow.

My questions are...

I want to start the iPhone 4S off as a BRAND NEW PHONE. I don't want to use any of my backups from my old 3GS. I want it to be brand new. But in order to keep my unlimited data plan, do I need to insert the sim card into the 4S that was in my 3GS that I moved to the backflip or can I just not even worry about that and still keep my unlimited data plan?

I would assume that the unlimited data plan has nothing to do with a sim card and is more about what is on your AT&T account, but I wanted to be sure.

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

your assumption is correct. Just get the phone and start using it. Nothing fancy needs to be done to retain your unlimited data.