Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trive

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
My iMac G3 broke dowm and, repairing it, I would spend too much.
The only thing that doesn't work is the CRT display.
I tried to connect the iMac to an other monitor and I can use the computer with no problems.

I'd like to connect it to my iMac G4 and use the LCD screen like it was a second monitor for the old iMac. Can I?

The problem is: how can I make my iMac G4 boot from the System Folder on my iMac G3?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP.
THANKS A MILLION!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
First off, what does Linux have to do with anything?

Secondly, why would you want to boot from the system on the G3? I don't think it's possible in the method you're describing.

There was another thread about using an iMac monitor for something similar just yesterday-- I really don't think it's possible outside of using Remote Desktop or something like that.

If I were you, I'd set up the iMac to be a server, or Airport base station, or a dozen other interesting things that can run without a monitor-- Otherwise, trash it...

pnw

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
if your imac has the video mirroring port on the back, i'd just buy a cheap monitor and use that. running an old imac through the screen on a new imac doesn't make sense - just use the new g4 imac. as far as linux goes (although you didn't mention it in your post), most linux distros require open firmware. yellowdog is a clone of redhat, debian is available natively, and i think linuxppc and several others are available as well (i think mandrake has a ppc beta).

trive

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
I'd like to use my iMac G3 as an external FireWire HD.
I'd like to install Linux and use it through my iMac G4: I don't have enough space on my iMac G4 and I don't want to format its HD for installing Linux.

thanks for any help.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
Originally posted by trive
I'd like to use my iMac G3 as an external FireWire HD.
I'd like to install Linux and use it through my iMac G4: I don't have enough space on my iMac G4 and I don't want to format its HD for installing Linux.
for this, i would suggest borrowing a monitor to use while installing linux on the imac, and then using either a vnc client or remote x11 login to control the g3 from the g4 (after which, you will not need the monitor anymore). i've heard that the latest version of mandrake has some kind of support for rendezvous, which would make sharing a big help, and i would also recomend downloading the ext2 filesystem driver for your g4 so that you can access the disk of the g3 once it's formatted for linux.

but really, if you're just looking to use the g3 as an external hard drive, it would make more sense to put the mac os on it just to make transfers easier.

are you hoping to connect the two over firewire or ethernet? setting up the g3 in firewire target disk mode would allow you to use it as a (very big and expensive) external hard drive.

Mblazened

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2002
The Valley
what would be the point of this.
This is does not seem like a useful setup. Besides, how could you use the imac g4 if you were using its screen for the g3? Just keep using your other external monitor so you can use both computers at the same time

I don't think its possible anyway, i can't imagine it working with any configuration.

You should try to install linux on the imac

icetraxxg5

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2002
Commerce Township
Or you could plug your iMac into your G4 via Firewire with a 6pin Firewire Cable and then Start up the broken iMac with the T key pressed down and BINGO! You got an instant external iMac firewire HD. The great thing about this is that it doesn't matter what OS is installed.

trive

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Can you tell me more about

"vnc client or remote x11 login to control the g3 from the g4 (after which, you will not need the monitor anymore). i've heard that the latest version of mandrake has some kind of support for rendezvous, which would make sharing a big help, and i would also recomend downloading the ext2 filesystem driver for your g4 so that you can access the disk of the g3 once it's formatted for linux"?

Where could I find linux mandrake/ext2?

Now I use the imac g3 (without the monitor) in firewire mode (at startup press T): I can change the startup disk to the imac g3 HD (that has got OS 9.1 installed) but when i restart the imac g4 can't find it and startup from its own HD!!

Do you know why? How can I solve the problem?

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
for this, i would suggest borrowing a monitor to use while installing linux on the imac, and then using either a vnc client or remote x11 login to control the g3 from the g4 (after which, you will not need the monitor anymore). i've heard that the latest version of mandrake has some kind of support for rendezvous, which would make sharing a big help, and i would also recomend downloading the ext2 filesystem driver for your g4 so that you can access the disk of the g3 once it's formatted for linux.

but really, if you're just looking to use the g3 as an external hard drive, it would make more sense to put the mac os on it just to make transfers easier.

are you hoping to connect the two over firewire or ethernet? setting up the g3 in firewire target disk mode would allow you to use it as a (very big and expensive) external hard drive.
http://www.zeroconf.org/Rendezvous/

linux had zeroconf (known as rendezvous for the mac) well before mac had rendezvous.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Configure your old imac using the new iMac monitor or some other thing somehow, then network them and leave them be. You can connect to the old one any time and grab files off it, or stream music off it etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.