Question Marks in place of "!" on incoming TXT msgs.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Popeye206, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

I frequently get text messages from people where the Exclamation mark is replaced by a Question Mark on the incoming text messages. So some messages like like:

Great to see you???​

When it should say....

Great to see you!!!​

Has anyone else seen this or know what causes it?

It seems to happen only sometimes and it does not seem to matter what type of phone they are texting from. At first I thought it was just the sender, but noticed it's happening with other contacts too. I'm on the iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2.

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

This sounds like an issue with your device only, if you want to fix the issue you may need to restore and set up as new phone.

Are you jailbroken? If you are jailbroken have you installed any kind of SMS/Messages tweak or application?

3. Popeye206 thread starter macrumors 68040

Popeye206

Thanks for the advice... I'm not Jail broken... I'm factory standard. I have not seen it in a few weeks now... so maybe it was something else like a network error in the TXT or the state of my phone??? I'm waiting for it to do it again and run some tests at that time.

Thanks for the help!

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Yeah, that sounds like it was a oneoff carrier or messaging app glitch.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I see this frequently when messages come in from overseas, as apparently different operators use different formats for extended characters. If you're able to find out which operators the problematic senders are using, then you might be able to find a pattern.