Question: My friend has an iPhone 4S. I have a Blackberry Bold.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gamecube117, Apr 8, 2012.

1. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

We both have 3G, Rogers, etc... But why does his internet seem "faster"?

2. taedouni macrumors 65816

Are you referring to his download speeds (speedtest) or the rate at which his browser loads web pages?

3. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Browser

4. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

The 4s is one of the fastest phones on the market, not surprising.

5. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

But why is that?

We both have 3G phones, both using Rogers, only difference is that they use iPhone, I use Blackberry.

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

2 different phones dude. Just because it's 3g doesn't mean it's gonna load the same time. Even on wifi the iPhone would load faster.

7. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Because the A5 chip in the 4s is very good and the way the iPhone handles information is very efficient.

8. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Did not know that. I thought having the same network and "3G" would mean we have the same speed connection. Thanks

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Speed might be the same ...... Rendering obviously different.

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Mobile Safari uses WebKit and has far superior javascript performance.

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hmmm I wonder which phone you may be purchasing next ! ;)

12. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I had the Bold 9900 and I'm not sure if it's that RIM uses cheap/outdated parts, but the Bold was not 'snappy' at all and web browsing itself was frustrating and felt like a chore (and not just the speed aspect).

I envy that you can put up with such a device, I don't think I can ever go back to Blackberry after using a 4/4S.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Get his iPhone and a new iMac on the same Wifi (like at an Apple store) and load the same page. (A non-mobile site.)

Watch the iMac beat his iPhone. Processor speed has a lot to do with how fast web sites get drawn. Just downloading it (the 3G part) is only half the story.

14. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't worry, I'm immensely contemplating. My coworker and I both use the old Bold. He recently upgraded to an iPhone and said he can't believe he's ever used a Blackberry (to be honest though, I think he's only saying that because every time I check up on him he's on Grindr :rolleyes:). He said his web browser is super fast.

I'm contemplating because e-mails are so much easier on a Blackberry. I wouldn't like to email on an iPhone (maybe this is where Siri becomes convenient). I wanted to give the Bold Touch a try first (heard their web browser has improved) before I upgrade to the latest iPhone.

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

There actually multiple reasons for this. The main ones are:

1. CPU/GPU, like everyone is saying. The iPhone 4S just has more capable hardware. Most Blackberries up to now are running pretty lightweight hardware, slow CPUs, and that means that regardless of how fast the data connection is, the CPU still has to work on processing the data being received and make the webpage look right.

2. Proxy. You r web traffic on a Blakcberry has to go through RIM's network, pass throguh their datacenters, get compressed, and THEN it's sent to your phone. This used to be a GOOD thing, back when networks were 2G, very slow, and a proxy that compresses data before sending it along really sped things up.

But now with 3G/4G, and combined with the fact that web servers are now doing their own low-level compression, we've reached a point where the networks are so fast that adding a whole other path (like RIM does) to move data around only adds latency, and slows things down a bit.

(It alos means you can't do much of anyting with a Blackberry if RIM's servers go offline for whatever reason.)

Some of this MIGHT change when Blackberry OS 10 comes out hopefully later this year. If RIM lasts that long.

16. JAT macrumors 603