question on an Xbox 360 and whether the picture on my HD tv really is HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jamesi, Jan 3, 2008.

1. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

So I have a magnavox 60" projector TV with an xbox 360 connected to it with the HD cables that came with it. this is really my friend's setup, who isnt exactly tech savvy. the TV specification claims to go up 1080i, which would theoretically yield a resolution of 1920x1080. this should be in widescreen mode to give that resolution, but the TV merely gives a fullscreen picture. my friend loves to gawk at the so-called "HD" picture he gets from his xbox 360, but how could it really be HD if it is not in widescreen mode. the picture looks too choppy to me, but then i remember that being used to PC gaming, which lets me play with AA and anisotropic filtering that console players miss out on.

i plugged my PC up to the TV and selecting the 1080i resolution of 1920x1080 which gave me a true widescreen picture, thus leaving a black bar on top and bottom of the screen. is my friend really getting an HD picture? how could a fullscreen picture be HD? he does not have an elite edition xbox, so you can rule out an HDMI talk here. thanks

2. jpod89 macrumors member

A) I think this is a Mac help forum, but..

B) I don't have an Elite 360, but I have a HDMI port (he must have a much older 360)

C) Do you have the switch on the component cable (where it connects to the 360) set to HDTV? There is a setting for TV and HDTV.

Try that, if not try to mess with some of the TV's settings.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

you should be able to set the resolution on the xbox itself in the display settings. i don't have hdmi on my old pos though

4. jamesi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesi

yea i know this is a mac help forum, i thought it just applied to all kinds of help . ill make sure i look for the correct thread next time.

thanks, ill look at the component cable to see if there is a switch. and then ill mess with the tv settings. thanks

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

It is pretty straight forward to setup the xbox for HD. Just make sure the switch on the cable is set to HD, then go into the XBox dashboard and set it to whatever resolution you want (720p, or 1080i).

6. jamesi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesi