Question on doing an upgrade swap.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bob616, Aug 30, 2012.

1. bob616 macrumors 6502

I plan on using an upgrade from another line on my account to get the new iPhone when it comes out. Do I have to get a new sim card from At&t to use with the iPhone or can I just call At&t and have them register the ICCID of the sim that comes with the iPhone to my phone number?

Thanks in advance!

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You'll need to go to the at&t store and ask them to do a "device swap." Bring both phones.

3. SonoViva macrumors 6502

SonoViva

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I figured it would be better than opening a new one. I have heard so many varying things on what to do in this situation. If I preorder the new iPhone from Apple using another line's upgrade, can I call AT&T before activating and have them switch the upgrade?

I seem to remember someone saying the SIM cards ship blank and this can be done over the phone. I have no problem going to an AT&T store; I'd just rather know beforehand if it necessitates a trip.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We will have to see what kind of sim it uses first.
    If its microsim all you would have to do is swap the sims. If its the new smaller sim then you might need to go to AT&T.

5. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Is this really true? So, I could order a new iPhone on a line I have an upgrade for, swap my 4S sim in my phone out with the iPhone "5", and activate using iTunes like normal? It doesn't cause any issues with IMEI or ICCID numbers or anything?

6. JohnCalif macrumors regular

I don't know if swapping sims is a good idea. When I got my last iPad, they recommended not doing that because the new iPad supporting LTE had the sim provisioned differently. Don't know if that was a real issue or just something they said.

I have spoken to several AT&T reps about doing an upgrade swap. The only thing they said I needed to do is activate the phone with customer service or at an AT&T store so that it would be upgraded on the line I want it on, not the line I used to order the phone.

They said I would have to choose a data plan when ordering because my other phone is not an iPhone, but that would be removed with activating the device on my desired line, and that my unlimited data plan would be preserved.

The only thing they could not say for sure was particulars for the iPhone 5 because it is not in their system yet. So that does raise the question of an unlimited existing iPhone data plan including LTE instead of needing a new plan, which would not be unlimited, but everything I've heard and my iPad experience suggests there should not be any problems.

7. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

^ I'm not saying it won't happen but they argue with me every year when I bring my old moto backflip in for a new SIM card (while waiting for a new iPhone after selling my old one) that the internet will absolutely not work. I always insist they leave my iPhone plan in tact as I'm afraid it will mess something up eligibility wise. I tell them I do it every year and they say they can leave it but different plans are provisioned for different devices and I just smile and nod. It has always worked thus far.

8. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I'm planning to do this as well. Hopefully we can just call AT&T when we get the new phone, before activation, and no effect the old line at all. I am upgrading my dad's line, and I think he is going to be out of town on the 21st, when the new phones will "supposedly" come. I have an S3 I just used my upgrade on that I will swap out at Best Buy for a lower model iPhone after Apple shuffles those models and transfer that one to my dad the next time we are together.

Edit: And I have the LTE provisioned S3 sim in my iPhone now. Been working great all day.

9. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Just a caution for you concerning possible impacts to your Dad's line or the upgrade donor line for others doing an upgrade swap.

Often when trying to complete the upgrade swap and depending on the skillls of the rep completing the activation steps on the assigned line. In this case it will kill your Dad's current SIM and break his voicemail leaving him without a working phone. He will not be very happy if this happens while he is traveling. :eek: This type of error will also make the SIM in the new iPhone unusable on your line since it was already associated to your Dad's number. In this case you would need another SIM for the iPhone 5.

It happens every year, while not a 100% failure rate it does happen and there will be threads about this type of fallout from using an Upgrade Swap. It is always best if you have all devices and individuals together when you do and Upgrade Swap by calling Customer Care or going to an AT&T Corp retail location.

Dave

10. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Thanks. Fortunately he will be traveling with my mom, whose phone will be at my house waiting for her to activate it. So her existing line should be safe.