question on genius replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kailibur, Oct 28, 2012.

1. kailibur macrumors member

i posted a thread recently asking for help on my unresponsive iPhone 4s. i went to the genius bar as suggested and they told me to restore it as a new iphone, because it could have been the software. i di that, and it has not helped. so this leads me to my question. when i go in to get it replaced, is it possible to pay and have my phone replaced with the current model?

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

No you can't. You have to buy the iPhone 5 for early upgrade price depending on how long you had the 4S or outright. Or test your luck at target/radioshack and sell it for whatever they'll give you

3. kailibur thread starter macrumors member

but then i have to pay for a brand new 950+ iphone don't I? sorry that i am sounding stupid i just have no clue on these things.

4. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

they can only give you the exact model and color that you have. So if you have a black 32gb for AT&T you can't just tell them to give you a white 64gb for Verizon.
    They can't give you a 16gb iPhone 5 when you have a 32gb previous model iPhone. So yes you have to pay for the iPhone

5. Radiating macrumors 65816

You could get a replacement that has the screen protectors and everything and sell it as a brand new iPhone 4S without taking it out of the packaging. Those will sell for a lot of money on eBay. Then just use that money to buy an iPhone 5, with or without carrier subsidy.

6. kailibur thread starter macrumors member

ok. that was what i was wondering. i will just go to the apple store.

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I've seen people at the Genius bar with older iPhones and if they don't have any in stock they will automatically upgrade you. i.e. iPhone 3G to 3Gs. But I doubt if the stock on the 4s is low.