Question on ownership of Tiger/Leopard if I get a free upgrade...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Integer, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Integer macrumors newbie

Here's a slightly complicated question for you all...

I aim to buy an iMac as soon as I can be certain that I'll get a free upgrade to Leopard.

Also: I have been planning to get Tiger to install on my mother's iMac G4. She's running Panther right now (as am I) and I'd like to future-proof her a little - but I don't think her machine's up for running Leopard.

Here are the questions:

1. If my machine arrives with Tiger, and I get a free Leopard upgrade, can I legally give her my copy of Tiger? I won't use the Tiger disk at all, so optimistically I'd hope that this is the same as selling my only copy, only I won't charge her.

2. The practical part: given 1 is "yes", will the version of Tiger that comes with the new iMac be Universal binary, or Intel only?

3. The alternative: if either 1 or 2 are "no", does anyone have any advice on whether Tiger is likely to be available cheaper after Leopard is released?

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

The version of Tiger that will come with your new iMac is specific to that machine. It won't even install on the older machine.

There will probably be lots of cheap Tigers available on eBay and other outlets. PM me if interested, I plan on selling my Tiger copy.

3. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

No.

Whatever OS version comes bundled with your computer purchase belongs to that specific hardware. The up-to-date program only updates the software to new version, it is not a new license.

4. Integer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys - that's nice and unambiguous :).

I'll wait till Leopard comes out, then, and start looking for a cheap copy of Tiger.