Question on selling phone, what should I not reveal?

Higgs1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
New York City
I'm putting my iPhone 4 up on ebay and I am going to include a screen cap of the settings page to show software version, imei, etc. What information should I black out besides my sim number? Is there anything anyone can do to potentially harm my phone with any of the information on that screen?

Help would be appreciated before I go forward.

Thanks

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Don't show the IMEI or serial number of the phone. All you need to say is the model and OS version really.

Higgs1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
New York City
Don't show the IMEI or serial number of the phone. All you need to say is the model and OS version really.
I want to show serial number incase they say they received a different one. Happened to me last year selling a PSP, I luckily took a pic of the serial number and I won the paypal dispute.

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I want to show serial number incase they say they received a different one. Happened to me last year selling a PSP, I luckily took a pic of the serial number and I won the paypal dispute.
People might be able to use your warranty (if it's still has any) with just your serial #. I know I've replaced my earphones before with just my s/n without the physical phone being present. Probably some more issues with putting s/n that I can't think of.

On a different tangent, if I were to buy an iPhone off craigs, almost all Sprint and Verizon iPhones run a risk right? After buyer sells, if they wanted to, they could default on payments, leading Verizon/Sprint to blacklist the phone from their networks. My question is does ATT do anything of the sort yet?

Higgs1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
New York City
People might be able to use your warranty (if it's still has any) with just your serial #. I know I've replaced my earphones before with just my s/n without the physical phone being present. Probably some more issues with putting s/n that I can't think of.

On a different tangent, if I were to buy an iPhone off craigs, almost all Sprint and Verizon iPhones run a risk right? After buyer sells, if they wanted to, they could default on payments, leading Verizon/Sprint to blacklist the phone from their networks. My question is does ATT do anything of the sort yet?
Nope with AT&T and tmobile and any other gsm carrier for that matter it's all tied to the sim rather than the imei, so I don't think there's a way to blacklist yet, maybe in future iterations. For safety I blocked half of the serial and half the imei lol should be good to go now

Thanks for the replies everyone!

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
That's why you meet in an carrier store and have them activate it for you right then and there BEFORE money changes hands. Preferably an Apple store if possible- so you could check for waranty any past problems, and they could give it a once over.