Question on using a family member's upgrade on family plan...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shamash, Jun 7, 2010.

1. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

Since AT&T seems to be ridiculous with this pushing upgrades back business, my 3gs made it so I can't upgrade myself, but I'm going to be using my little brother on the family plan's upgrade. The issue is, I'll be in California for Camp while my whole family will be in Oregon.

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do this. Can I order it to Camp with his phone number on it, then when I get it, plug it into my computer and just put my phone number in it, and still pay the $199 instead of $399? Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for your help!

2. montecarloss919 macrumors member

in same situation and would like to know as well.

3. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

I tried calling AT&T and she was not very helpful. First she told me she was going to fix my upgrade date, and started talking about being grandfathered in... I was a bit confused, but I was like whatever. I go on hold for about 5-10 minutes, and she tells me that it looks like my upgrade date is subject to change at any time depending on things that happen with my account/bill/etc... very useful information, right? She then tells me that I can switch my upgrade with another phone on my family plans, and when I ask her to do it, she says "Oh, sorry, you can actually upgrade their phone and then switch phones and call us up."

SUPER USEFUL, ATT BUSINESS CARE.

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I did this last year with my 3GS using my dad's account. So, now I'm eligible for the iPhone 4. I just switched the SIM cards after I activated it via iTunes. But considering that it's now using microSIM cards, I don't know how that will work.

5. montecarloss919 macrumors member

Yeah thats the concern I have....the whole micro-sim thing...wonder what they'll do..maybe i can go to AT&T and get a microsim for my account

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'm sure they will ask you why you need a micro-sim for your iPhone 3GS when it takes a standard sim.

7. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

Same exact situation here. For some reason I thought this was frowned upon by ATT, so I figured I couldn't call up and ask. I figured it would be really simple, by just switching the SIM cards, and restoring from backup, but then I realzied the new iPhone is micro SIM.

I also wonder how restoring form backup would work if you are going from OS 3 to iOS 4