Question on when to buy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Asdf115, Mar 2, 2013.

  1. Asdf115 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2011
    #1
    So I'm planning on replacing my dying phone at some point this summer (probably late May into June) and finally decided to get a smartphone. My current problem is one of budget. I don't think I can afford to buy the latest model of iPhone (whether it be the current 5 or the 5S I'm hearing about). I'm aware that once the new model comes out you can purchase the previous model for a discounted price. Now my experience with Apple products is that older models become obsolete relatively quickly (in terms of software and app support - my current iPod, which was about a year behind the release cycle, had stopped being supported about 0.5-1 year after I got it). My question is should I purchase the 4S at the discounted price come summer, or wait it out until the new model is released and get myself the 5 once the 5S is out (while keeping in mind that my current phone is dying off quickly and that past July, I won't have an opportunity to get a new phone until November at the earliest)?
     
  2. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

    Cody21

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2012
    Location:
    Knoxville, TN
    #2
    Rumors have claimed June/July and August/September release dates for the iPhone 5S, so it's anybody's guess right now. According to history, once the iPhone 5S is released, it'll take the $199 price point for the 16gb model, and the iPhone 5 will drop to $99 on contract with the 4S becoming free on contract. If you can't afford the $199 for the iPhone 5S but could justify the $99, I would go with the iPhone 5 once it comes down in price. If not, the 4S is still a good phone.

    If I were in your situation, I would at least hold out a little bit longer, say, at least until mid to late June or early July if you can and keep it tuned here for any rumors or anything that might point to a firm release date. If not, I would pull the trigger on the iPhone 4S.
     
  3. Asdf115 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2011
    #3
    Awesome, thanks for the advice! For now, I'll plan on waiting a bit for more news
     

Share This Page