Question Re: iPhone 5 Memory

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mojo pin, Sep 25, 2012.

1. mojo pin macrumors regular

mojo pin

I'm really really loving my iPhone and have been very fortunate to not have encountered the various problems others are experiencing. There's just one thing I'm curious about. Right after I left the Verizon store on Friday after purchasing my phone, I immediately went to work in Settings to disable options and features I don't need to save battery power. I noticed that it said I had 27.5 GB available and I had bought the 32GB model. This was before anything was put on the phone, except my email account that was set up. Is it like that just because of the space the pre-existing apps on the phone take up? Seems like kind of a lot! I'm really glad I went with the 32.

2. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

Theres technical reasons for that but the condensed version is that iOS takes up some space too.

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

First off, as it is with all devices with storage, 32GB does not mean 32 GB. I can't recall exactly what the maximum storage is, but it never equals exactly 32. You'll see this on computer harddrives, android phones, etc.

Second, iOS and the pre-installed apps take up space. They're not relegated to some separate storage drive on it's own, it lives in the 32GB capacity of the phone. So you're never going to get a phone that is complete empty.

I would not stress out about this too much. 32 GB is typically plenty unless you store massive amounts of videos or apps on your phone. If you're not anywhere close to maxing out your drive by the time your return window expires, you're probably fine.