Question re iPhone 5 pre-order with AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by naveah, Sep 4, 2012.

1. naveah macrumors regular

Hello everyone, I just spoke to AT&T about pre-ordering a hypothetical phone when it it launched (of course, they probably wouldn't have answered any questions specifically about the iPhone 5). They said that they will only deliver to the billing address listed on the statement.

Now, I would like to have the phone delivered to work, since no one will be at home and I'd rather not have it stolen while it's sitting out on my doorstep. My question was has anyone tried to temporarily switch their billing address and switch it back after the phone has been shipped? Or is it too sketchy that AT&T doesn't allow it--perhaps by having a 15-30 day period between switching billing addresses?

Second, an easier solution would be to in-store pick up the phone from an Apple or AT&T store. Has this been an option in the past (to pick up from store)?

----------

Another question, maybe I might not have to pre-order. In the past, I know Apple stores run out of the iPhone very, very quickly. Does anyone remember any specific timelines (a few hours or is it only some of the people standing in line are typically able to get a new iPhone)?

2. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

With the iPhone 4 you were able to reserve the phone for in store pickup when the preorders went live. I know this was the case with the apple site at least. With the 4s this was not an option. You had to order the phone and have it shipped, of course to the billing address on file with your carrier. I had to change my billing address with AT&T last year due to this. Since I live across the road from the post office we don't have mail delivery and must have a Po box. So i had to change billing address to my office. I believe I changed mine about a week before the keynote just to be safe.

3. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

Third and most easiest option, take the day off work or call in sick. That's what I'll be doing. :D

4. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Order online from Apple and have them ship it to your office on launch day. I've done this the last couple of launches and the FedEx guy shows up at my office at 11am with my new iPhone. No lines, no waiting, simple as that.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Leaving it on your doorstep is a moot argument b/c they won't do that. It's signature only.

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The only drawback to this option is if there is an activation problem, you'll have to deal with AT&T, which then increases the possibility of delays. I've been this route once and never again.

By ordering my iPhones direct from AT&T they come with a sim all setup with my info.

All you have to do is call into an automated number and your phone is instantly setup.

No delays, no problems , you don't even have to speak to anyone, it's all automatic.

7. troop231 macrumors 603

You can sign the FedEx paper and they will leave it there :)

8. felixroqu3 macrumors 6502

felixroqu3

So.. I have to change the billing address to my job so i can receive it there?

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I understand that this has been an option in the past, but a few posters have noted that this has been disallowed as of late (at least with high dollar iDevices).

10. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Weird, never had an issue with this. Always just plugged it into iTunes and wham, done.

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

That's because as I said "if there's a problem".

While problems are not rampant, they do occur.

I've read many threads here after each launch, when something goes wrong and the sim is not properly programmed, a task that only AT&T can do.

Not once have I read of a mistake like this on a phone ordered directly from the carrier. After all their in the business of setting up phones.

AT&T's ship ready to go. The only reason you are instructed to call into an automated number is to confirm the proper person received the phone.

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

It really is up to the discretion of the driver. But, by signing the document, I believe you waive the right to go against FedEx if something were to happen.

13. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Guess some of us are luckier than others.

14. naveah thread starter macrumors regular

This does seem like the best and easiest option. I think I'll do this (instead of going through the insanity that's AT&T customer service).

And does anyone know how many phones they typically have (40-50 per store)? I need to calculate how early I need to get there.

Just practicing my call: "Uh boss, that burrito I had last night did not sit well with my stomach. Food poisoning." [Boss hears excited screaming from others in line.] "Hey, what was all that screaming?" "Oh, it's--umm--it's--umm: pain! Yea, pain, it's coming out of me like hot lava, I tell you."

That's exactly what I am worried about. I think signing that paper will absolve FedEx of all responsibility if something goes wrong. So if someone does steal it or it gets soaked in rain, FedEx will simply say "oh well."

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

And make the silly assumption that if one doesn't have a problem, no one does. A rather common display of selfishness.

16. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Whoa there boss, no need to get snippy, just sharing my experience. Save the attitude.

17. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

I usually go the migraine headache route myself. Which I actually do take medication for. But they do conveniently show up on launch days for some reason. ;)

18. Bilybobjef macrumors newbie

Well this ship to only the billing address thing sucks, this will be my first pre-order and I'm on my sisters family plan who is 2 states away. Guess I'll have to have her ship it to me after it arrives, very lame.

19. troop231 macrumors 603

Can you create your own account instead?

20. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

My wife has her bill sent to her employer's address for them to pay it. I think I changed it online to our home address the day before the preorder started for the 4s, and changed it right back as soon as the phone was delivered--no problem whatsoever.

21. naveah thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe you could do what tbayrgs suggested. Could you have your sister change the billing address for a day and change it back as soon as the phone is shipped?

I'll probably stand in line, but just in case I changed my AT&T billing address to my work address today (my next bill isn't coming for another 11 days or so).