Question re iPhone in Spain

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by segovius, Sep 15, 2012.

1. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

Actually I don't know anything about mobile phones and have no interest whatsoever in the topic but it turns out my daughter is now obsessed with getting an iPhone for her birthday in a couple of weeks.

The problem is that we are in Spain but only for 3 more months when we move to Germany. Obviously I don't want to buy into a contract for 2 years or whatever but nor do I want to have a 12 year old running around with a 400 Euro phone if we get one on a pay as you go...(if that's even possible).

So, anyone knowledgeable about these things can offer some advice? Cheers.

2. erpetao macrumors regular

It doesn't matter if it's contract or pay as you go, she will still be a 12 year old running around with a 400€ phone (600€ actually).

If the iphone gets robbed and you are on a contract, you still need to pay for the full 24 months. I don't see how that's better.

My advice is to get an "unlocked" iphone (libre) from the Apple website. You won't be able to get an iPhone 5 for her birthday in 2 weeks, as it is not available in Spain yet. So you can either get an iphone 4S (but she might get angry if she heard about the iphone 5), or wait for a month or so until the iphone 5 is available.

3. segovius thread starter macrumors regular

segovius

Well, I mean the cost is 400 or whatever libre - on contract it is not that amount so is less outlay.

Not so bothered about the 5, 4 would do it. So with this unlocked one we can put any SIM card in it right?