Question regarding debit card puchase of iphone 4 at att retail store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sleepness, Jul 11, 2010.

1. sleepness macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So, apparently, I've found out that att retail representatives were not supposed to let you pay for an iphone with a debit card. However, I guess mine slipped through, and the charge went through successfully (it is a debit card that can also be ran as credit). After hearing about this, I contacted the ATT store, and they instructed me that my best bet would be to cancel my order and reorder using a credit card in the store, since it will more than likely be cancelled and not shipped. I ordered on 7/3 and it is still on backorder. Is that good advice, or should I just hold on?

2. GDVI macrumors regular

GDVI

They suggest this because the transaction will charge the card twice (normal for everyone). The double charge is returned to you but you will be left without those funds for X amount of time.

3. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

Don't think it really matters. I mean, you have enough funds anyway right? I have a debit/credit card and I can purchase things without a hitch online and I used it to buy my iPhone 4 at the ATT store. They keypad just asked, do you want to run it as debit or credit? I always choose credit.

4. sleepness thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I have the funds, that's not the issue. They told me that the reason they don't use debit cards is because they can only "hold" the funds on your card for 5 days, then it drops off. Which did happen to me, the charge is no longer pending and I don't have any holds on my card, which is why I'm wondering if I should just listen to them. My order doesn't show as cancelled or anything though.

5. GDVI macrumors regular

GDVI

The double charge will show when it's shipped.