Question regarding removal of MBP optical drive in favor of second SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Dec 20, 2015.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Hi everyone,

I have a 2009 MBP 13" that currently has a single SSD in it already; however, I've been considering removing its optical drive and putting in a second SSD (or else, just simply removing the optical drive to take some weight off this laptop).

I was about to try it, but I realized that the optical drive is (obviously) set off to one side of the laptop. Would it be too lopsided if I were to remove it? How would it be with an SSD in place - and without one?

If anyone has done this before, I'd like to get some info before I rip the drive out. Don't want my laptop to feel odd to use.

Thanks.

2. treekram, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015

treekram macrumors 6502a

I had gathered data on different weights for a similar project I'm about to (not concerned about weight distribution, though). These are published figures (the one on the Superdrive comes from another thread), all unconfirmed by me.

Evo 850 250GB SSD: 66 grams
    Superdrive: 127 grams
    Older SATA-2 500GB drive (good for your purposes): 117 grams
    OWC Data Doubler: 68 grams (it looks pretty flimsy in pictures, but it's metal and it's sturdy)

mid-2009 MBP 13": 2040 grams

1 gram = 0.035274 oz.

After looking at this, I came to the conclusion that I'm not likely to feel the weight different regardless of what I did (1 SSD - with or without optical, 2 SSD's).

EDIT: I actually weighed the components, see post #8.

3. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I guess it's good that the drive wouldn't remove much weight, because it would be lopsided otherwise. It seems that, with the removal of the optical drive and addition of a second SSD, it would be an ounce or so that will be removed from the right side of the machine. I pay great attention to detail, so hopefully I wouldn't notice.

Well, please do tell me what it's like with just the optical drive removed. I won't try this anyway, until (and if) I get a second SSD to put into it.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You need to get a special cage to put the SSD into and then put that whole assembly into the optical drive bay. You cannot put an empty SSD into the optical drive bay, it won't fit.

I did that, back in the day and it worked well. I had an SSD in the main drive bay and I pulled the optical drive.

5. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I guess I could bite the bullet and try... but I notice slight differences pretty easily. BTW, couldn't I just velcro the drive to the base of the machine?

6. Kaspin macrumors member

Kaspin

The optical drive has a narrower connector than normal sata drives, you'll want the optibay type adapter for that anyways.

7. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Ooh - thanks for notifying me about that. I WAS a bit skeptical about an SSD simply being popped in place of an optical drive.

8. treekram macrumors 6502a

I just installed two SSD's in my mid-2012 13" MBP (non-Retina). Here are the actual weights (using an analog scale, the Data Doubler figure weight was accurate, so I think the scale is accurate to within 1-2 grams). My MBP is a refurb, manufactured 11/2015.

Evo 850 250GB SSD: 35 grams
    Superdrive taken out of my MBP: 115 grams (the weight I saw on the web was 127 grams)
    Older SATA-2 500GB drive : 95 grams (for example purposes only)
    HDD taken out of my MBP: 85 grams
    OWC Data Doubler: 68 grams

It should be obvious, but I'll state it anyway. Manufacturers will regularly change components so weights will vary, especially for the 2012 MBP since it has been manufactured since 2012.

Being metal, the Data Doubler bracket is heavy. If you're looking for something lighter, I think the cheaper alternatives will probably be plastic. But if one is concerned about weight distribution, the Data Doubler together with a lighter SSD will a comparable weight with the Superdrive.

Can I feel a weight difference? Not really. But I'm also the type if you tell me there's a difference, I notice a difference, whether it's there or not.

9. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Thanks for the info. I was referring more to the weight difference you'd feel - in terms of lopsidedness. If I remove the optical drive (esp. without putting a second SSD in), would I feel like my laptop is tilting to one side more? If it just makes the entire laptop feel somewhat lighter in general, that would be okay with me. I just don't want things to feel out of proportion.

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

Seriously, if you feel that, it's likely to be confirmation bias (i.e. all in your head).