Question to CA residents - Proposition 14

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kylera, Jun 6, 2012.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

This one goes out to those living in California, and I'm not asking for opinions since things can get dicey.

To my understanding, Proposition 14 means that when Californians vote for congressmen or other politicians, the top two who get the most votes go into a run-off later in the year. My question is, does this apply even when one candidate gets more than 50% of the votes (in other words, simple majority)?

2. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

yes

3. Queso macrumors G4

If so, that's a colossal waste of taxpayer's money. Does any other democracy on the planet stage a run-off in such circumstances?

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Why. It makes the canadetes have to work for the people instead of just the extreme ends of there party. Tax payers are already on the hook for both the primary and the election any how. Now the election is just not a formality with the real one in the primary

5. Queso macrumors G4

If all candidates only win a minority of the vote I fully agree, but what I can't see the point of is a run-off when someone has already secured over 50%. If the first round winner obtains a electoral majority when running against an entire field of candidates they are pretty much certain of a repeat majority when only running against one.

If the second round is only a formality to tick a compliance box what's the point in having it?

6. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Off Topic - Is it me or do America's lawmakers have to make every legal change sickeningly marketable or sound like something out of a corny spy movie?

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They just want to be loved, and it's a tough row to hoe. ;)

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well still have to have general because more people vote there and other things are put on the ballet then. Cost wise would be min because they vote on a lot of other stuff then as well.

Plus primary many only get strong dems or strong GOP voting.

9. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I don't live in California, but I've always found ballotpedia to be an invaluable source of information about these things.

Proposition 14

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Quite so. Most Americans know about the first Tuesday in November, but if you mention the primary (which may be in January (New Hampshire), September (Washington state) or some date in between, they will say, "oh, is/was there an election this week?"

Oregon has the best plan, though. Ballots are all submitted by mail or in a drop box.

Which is problematic, because primaries often host ballot measures as well.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Depends on the state.

That being said what the problem with only the strong Dems and strong GOP is that is where you get the most extereme people who cause the grid lock. Since they are often times in either a safe district or state (IT will be one or the other) the winner is choosen in the primary by extreme ends of the party.

The GOP are scared ******** not of the general but of losing their primary. They work with dems in any way they get voted out in the primaries.