Question: Viewing video, photos, movies on a TV?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iRobby, May 4, 2011.

1. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Is it true the Thunderbolt ports taking the place of the HDMI ports in the 2010 model that you no longer can view the computer screen contents such as photos etc. on a TV like we can with the iPad2?

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

3. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

4. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

just chatted with a representative:

TS - Lacey H (Level 3): Hi Robert Kaplarczuk,
    TS - Lacey H (Level 3): Thank you for contacting Monoprice Tech Support.
    TS - Lacey H (Level 3): My name is Lacey H.. Give me a moment while I review your question.
    TS - Lacey H (Level 3): How are you doing today Robert Kaplarczuk?
    Robert Kaplarczuk: very good I'm going to be purchasing the new iMacs and had a question about the HDMI converter
    TS - Lacey H (Level 3): Alright, how can I help you with that?
    Robert Kaplarczuk: it says that it goes in the mini display port which the new iMacs have
    TS - Lacey H (Level 3): Correct
    Robert Kaplarczuk: however at the botom of the page it also says thunderbolt compatible which the iMacs also have
    Robert Kaplarczuk: how is it t
    Robert Kaplarczuk: hunderbolt compatible
    TS - Lacey H (Level 3): Correct
    TS - Lacey H (Level 3): it it FULLY thunderbolt compatible
    Robert Kaplarczuk: so it can be connected to the thunderbolt port as well?
    TS - Lacey H (Level 3): Yes, the thunderbolt port is a mini displayport, basically an upgraded mini displayport port

Robert Kaplarczuk: ok thank you\
    TS - Lacey H (Level 3): Is there anything else I can help you with today?
    Robert Kaplarczuk: so basically any mini display port wire ordevice can be used in a thunderbolt
    TS - Lacey H (Level 3): Yes, thunderbolt is fully backwards compatible, however that does not mean it will give your devices thunderbolt compatibility if they have the previous displayport version.

Robert Kaplarczuk: thank you

Question guys:

What she mean by previous display port version? Does her explanation mean that certain devices do not have to have Thunderbolt ports only mini display ports to plug ihnto the thunderbolt port?

5. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I think she's saying that objects with mini-display ports won't suddenly change into a thunderbolt port, when you connect it to an iMac. They'll still only be able to carry video.

6. Lacey.H macrumors newbie

Displayport does have two different versions commonly in use today, version 1.1 and 1.2.
    Version 1.1 supports video, and not audio.
    Version 1.2 supports audio out via mini displayport/thunderbolt. This means that any computer built with the 1.2 version can support audio out, the adapter will not give it that capability if it does not have the V. 1.2.
    The HDMI adapter will support HDMI audio out via mini displayport/thunderbolt for computers that specifically support HDMI audio out.
    So, yes, that is correct, some computers do have older versions of displayport, like the mid 2010 Macbook Pro. Meaning that it would be able to output video from the mini displayport, but audio would need a separate connection, like a USB audio and Mini displayport to HDMI adapter. All the newer Mac’s with Thunderbolt fully support HDMI audio out and video via the Thunderbolt port. :):apple: