Question: What would happen if the elderly retired outside the US?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BigQid, Nov 14, 2010.

1. BigQid macrumors regular

What would happen to the debt and the economy if the US started encouraging the elderly to retire outside the US where healthcare was cheaper? Would that help with the cost of Medicare, assuming they still got benefits as citizens but at a lower cost?
    I ask this because I've thought about retiring outside the US so I'm not saying force people to leave. I'm not saying make deals with third world countries to take our old people. There are countries that provide good health care at a lower cost than in the US and have little resort areas that would give them comfortable lives. My concern would be the loss of jobs from caring for the elderly in the US, but I think its an alternative worth considering.

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Why would these countries want them? What would the incentive be? These old people would have spent their entire working lives NOT paying into the system, and then leeching off of it when they get old.

Never going to happen.

3. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I still kinda like the soylent green idea better.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, if you put in some kind of a deal where money is involved (less money than what it would cost to be here in the US), then the idea is plausible.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah I was presuming the US taxpayer would pay most of the costs.

Its an interesting idea that could work, but surely it'd be easier to just sort out healthcare at home so it wasn't quite such a rip-off?

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yeah, the idea of shipping our elderly to other countries with lower health care costs is plausible. WTF? :rolleyes:

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Let's see, no one is saying, let the 3rd world handle it with their health care systems. The US will still provide, but in a 3rd world country things might be cheaper (like healthcare staff, medicine, food, etc).

8. BigQid, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

BigQid thread starter macrumors regular

We could pay them the way we pay for Medicare, but they would do it for less money than it gets done now. That's not leeching.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Maybe we can also send them our sick and unemployed. Holy ****, what about shipping our criminals too? We could save mad money.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah, but the elderly don't really do any harm other than having higher healthcare costs for being old.

And they volunteer and do other useful stuff too.

11. BigQid, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

BigQid thread starter macrumors regular

In something analogous to the way you want to live in the city to be where the action is when you're young, and then when you have kids you move to the suburbs because of the lower cost of housing and better schools, you should be able to move even farther out when you retire to other countries that provide even cheaper housing and cheaper healthcare.

12. BigQid thread starter macrumors regular

I assume when you say sick you mean chronically ill patients that are not being cared for by their family. Honestly, having had a handicapped brother who stayed in a home and from my work with patients in hospitals, I can project that while some families, like mine, may regularly visit their family, some patients almost never see visitors. So I don't have a problem with off-shoring wards of the state. I definitely don't have a problem with off-shoring imprisonment. The hold up would be visitation, but in theory I have no trouble with it. That said, how bout we stop putting so many people in prison first.

13. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Is this some clever plot to offload the teapartiers? :)

Britain tried that with Australia, and now we have Rupert Murdoch. :D

14. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I've thought about it--there are some really nice places where you can cheaply retire--Cuenca, Ecuador as one example. It is feasible now since some countries do want and encourage older Americans to move there--of course this may not be the case if there is a mass exodus. Regardless, I don't think I would really move outside the country--but hopefully it will continue to be an option for those who choose to do so.

15. BigQid thread starter macrumors regular

To clarify, the idea is take old people on Medicare and Social Security, find them someplace in the world where they can get the most bang for that buck while maintaining a high quality of life. I imagine people could live more comfortably if the average retiree sold their house, bought a cheaper one in their new home and lived off their benefits. Old people need service and service overseas is cheap.
    Not all the old people would leave. I've thought of letting my or my wife's parents live with me so that we can spend time at work, and they watch the kids. Right now, most healthcare money is spent on old people. As older people live longer, the cost to society swells. I'd hope for an emphasis on keeping the young healthy in America, and keeping the elderly healthy outside. I don't
    The question is how much does an average retiree get in benefits now versus how much would it cost to provide for that elsewhere? In the age of globalization, if there is profit to be had, developing countries would gladly take our elderly.

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Retired people aren't necessarily a burden on the economy. They spend money on other things besides medical; food, clothes, cars, vacations, macbook pro, presents for the grandchildren, financial help for their struggling children.....all sorts of things.

It might save a little money in medicare, but it wouldn't surprise me if it would be a net lose to the US economy if all these old people took their money and left

17. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I see what you're getting at, but it's very disrespectful. Some societies value their elderly. A lot of these old people fought for this country or paid their dues in various ways to society. Now they should be shipped off away from their families and their homeland?

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

It would never happen since old people are an extremely lucrative client base for the healthcare industry which would never tolerate such a scheme

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

remember most countires have a point system on if they will let you become a citizen.
    Age is a factor against you. For example for Austria if you are over the age of 45 do not bother applying for they will not let you in.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I do find it disheartening that in the US, the elderly, and even family in general, is not as values/respected as other cultures are. It seems people here view elderly as a burden. At least in my experience

21. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

This be a truth.

22. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I thought the guy who was talking about the Trackpad being false advertised was ... out there.

You should run this by your own Grandparents and then you will know the answer. Better yet, I would like to see your Grandma post her response here.

They must be very proud of you?
    :cool:

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I believe there are already quite a few care homes in Mexico that actively seek out elderly and infirm Americans. Costs are obviously very low and the culture has more respect for the elderly. In most areas, the weather is also pretty nice.

I think oversight would need to be fairly strict but really see no problem with it. The US doesn't have enough gerontologists to deal with the boomers anyway. Something has to give.

24. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

A new Australia? :p