Questionable Law Enforcement Incidents

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Huntn, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

This was aired last night on MSNBC, conservative's favorite network:

Florida Police Killing Like Many Disputed and Little Noticed

2013- Police in Oakland Park, Florida killed a black man carrying an unloaded pellet gun (non-lethal even if it was loaded) on his way from a pawn shop where he purchased it to his home. Three 911 calls were received, police confronted the man, said he waived the gun at them, so they killed him. They also testified the man had no ear plugs that might make him hard of hearing, ie playing music. He was found with ear buds in his pocket, but a photo has appeared recently showing him after the shooting, laying on the ground with ear buds in his ears.

Based on reports, this appears to be a reality of police misconduct, or at least not that surprising, cover your ass, a human tendency. The issue is we are supposed hold our law enforcement to a higher standard, we must insist on this.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I used to squirrel hunt with a pellet gun.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The fact that it was a pellet gun is immaterial. Just another in a long line of cops treating black people differently.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

put a camera on every single one of them. things will change

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I’d rather washout those without honor and integrity.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

why not do both?

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

No reason at all, but if you can’t washout those without both honor and integrity what does that say about instructors. Lets fix the whole system rather than treating symptoms.

9. Huntn, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Samuel DeBose shooting by University of Cincinnati Police Officer (July2015)
    Press conference confirming indictment for murder being televised currently. Note victim was pulled over for a missing front license plate. This guy was not employed by the City of Cincinnati but the University. The Officer claimed that the driver took off and dragged him and that's why he shot the driver in the head. I question as a University Police Officer, if he had any jurisdiction for this kind of stop? I watched the video , but the network blurred out the moment of the shooting so it's impossible to see what happened. I assume this video will be viewable online.

A body cam made the difference. The more, the better.

UC officer's attorney expects indictment in shooting
    Update: Mark O'Mara the George Zimmerman attorney has been hired by the family. In a brief statement he said that the existence of a video got an inditement and something is wrong when an environment exists where officers feel it's more important to protect each other than tell the truth.

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Anomalous publishes document, video questioning Sandra Bland Death

I've not looked at this in depth, but posted it for digestion. The accusation about her mug shot, that she was all ready dead is... interesting, or alarming if credible. I'm not suggesting the claim is credible because it would be countered by reports that several people, at least one who knew her, spoke with her after her incarceration. I've not studied the document allegations.

11. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

The DeBose shooting illustrates the importance of body cams, where if not for this video evidence, there would be no arrest/trial, this officer would still be on the job, exercising his authority.

At this point, yea, but still wondering why this encounter turned into what it did. Instead of serving the public, this comes across as oppressive authority, with police nothing better to do but harass motorists for minor traffic infractions and unable to control their temper with less than a 100% cooperative citizen.

13. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

14. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

They should both be treated equally. And the stories should both get equal attention.

15. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

They should, and while I believe the majority of police are good, hard working people in adverse circumstances, there are too many people in these positions who are corrupt, have lost sight of their role in society, burned out, are on authority power trips, and are to quick to shoot and kill in the face of civil disobedience.

16. sim667 macrumors 65816

17. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I think the officer thought his actions were prudent to restrain the child. However most adults who understand this child's psychological diagnosis, especially those who had direct supervision responsibilities over the child failed utterly allowing this to happen. If they were not demanding the child be unrestrained, then I wonder how qualified they were as special-needs teachers?

18. sim667 macrumors 65816

You have to question why the officer is also not trained in learning difficulties.

I'd always been under the impression that generally learning difficulties aren't dealt with particularly well in schools in america, I maybe wrong on that though and am happy to be corrected if I am.

19. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

20. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

If the above is not exaggerated and basically true, it's legal murder and I would be disgusted. I'm starting to hope that we human beings have a judgement day to answer for our treatment of each other in this life. :(

21. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I just wish they would release the dash cam footage to support their accusations. All of this doesn't add up.

22. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Different states no? Same thing happens all the time, you will see someone jailed and have to wait for their court date for drunk driving in state "A", while in another state is is misdemeanor and they are cited out after sobering up.

If it was the same state, then you will also see a difference in bail based on criminal history, flight risk, etc.