Questioning Airplane Regulations on Wireless Devices

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by killmoms, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Does anyone else happily disregard the "turn off electronic devices" warning? Mythbusters proved that non-transmitter devices emitted no problems, and let's face it, I like to listen to a little Sigur Rós while taking off. So epic!

**** arbitrary regulations. Live practically, not by rules. :)

---
    EDIT: I moved these posts to the PRSI because I hope that this will be fairer to all of you than just closing or wastelanding the other thread. Please bear in mind that the rules of etiquette and civility that apply at MacRumors apply to this thread. No name calling. No insults. No personal attacks. That goes for all of you. ;) --mkrishnan

2. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Yeah, **** these regulations. I live practically, using what I learn from the interweb to inform me, especially on issues of others peoples safety.

3. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

it's practical to drive 120mph down the expressway.. gets you there faster and saves on gas. i don't think you're ballsy enough to do that.

it's also practical to follow the rules that you agree to by purchasing and using the ticket, rather than being mr wise guy and breaking the rules you're too good for and risking being arrested or banned from future flights. doesn't sound like you're ballsy enough to do that, either.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I have never "powered down" any of my electronic devices. My PowerBook goes to sleep, my iPod goes to sleep, and my iPhone will go to sleep. The effective range of any sort of EM field from something as small and low powered as an iPod is less than 1m, and for the PowerBook, maybe 2m. Back when small electronic devices consumed many times more power, like early laptops, it was a legitimate concern regarding EM fields from those devices, but think about it, they have either a DVD player or Tape Player (VHS or Beta) on the plane that operates shortly after take-off, around 5000ft. That device created 5 times the magnetic field of my PowerBook, and it is closer to the avionics than any passenger.

Regardless, airplane mode is what you want. However, if you are on a plane with Wi-Fi service, you cannot enable Wi-Fi in Airplane mode, so you'll have to pop out the sim, then turn off Airplane Mode. To not look suspicious, I'd try to find a mechanical pencil with a long enough metal tip to pop the SIM tray, so you don't have to bend a paper clip.

TEG

5. rayward macrumors 68000

I'll spin the question around: can't you simply do what's asked of you for a few minutes? They're not impinging on your constitutional rights, they're asking you to turn off and put away your iPod just during take off and landing. I fly over a hundred thousand miles a year; I love my iPhone; I turn it off when asked.

If you want to be a rebel, go protest a nuclear waste dump or something. Disregarding a reasonable request for the short time it takes them to get you and a couple of hundred fellow passengers airborne just makes you [name-calling removed by moderator].

6. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

The issue IS the phone part. Electronics aren't a huge deal, but cell phone signal can cause static. There's been raging debates back and forth about it, but if they want it off, better to believe them than risk the pilot getting a bout of "GSM buzz" right before landing.

7. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I had my old phone accidentally turn on in my back pack while I was in flight. I did not know it until I landed and I had numerous welcome messages from various cell companies. I was flying international. It obviously didn't cause a problem.

Regardless, why take a chance...Not to mention any legal issues that could arise from failing to follow directions.

8. rayward macrumors 68000

How much time do you save by putting to sleep, rather than powering down, your electronic devices? One minute? Wow!

9. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

I fly several times a month. I bring my iPhone every time and I put it on flight mode. I've never had a problem. The only thing you can't do is listen to it on take off and landing.

10. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Son, if I ever sit next to you on a plane I'm going to ram your phone up your arse. Sideways.

11. iPhelim macrumors regular

I agree that the feeling you get when listening to an amazingly beautiful song and landing or taking off, especially at night, is brilliant.

That comment clearly broke the rules.

12. paduck macrumors 6502

While I'm sure you are technically right, what you are suggesting is a violation of FAA regulations and will put you at risk for a potential legal and safety violation. There are people in the FAA who are paid by the American taxpayer to determine the risks, albeit small, of inflight electronics and determine whether or not you should use these devices. You are supposed to follow those regulations as you follow all the other ones in-flight.

13. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Yeah, I often listen to my iPod on landing. I usually sit by the window. Therefore, I can conceal it rather easily. I only wear the earbud that faces the window, etc.. I also often have my digital camera out and take pictures of the landing or record a movie of the landing. That's a bit more conspicuous, though, as I have a camera pressed against the window. On takeoff, however, I always wait. But that's simply more of a timing thing.

14. iPhelim macrumors regular

This thread is getting me wondering on the actual legal implications of using phones on planes, i've never actually heard "it's illegal" like you hear about riding bikes at train stations.

15. paduck macrumors 6502

Probably nothing like the feeling of an iPhone flying across the cabin at 100mph and hitting you on the head. There are two different rule sets here. One is physical safety - EVERYTHING has to be secured for takeoff and landing lest it go flying about the cabin. The second is electronic safety. Although both are in force, one is certainly more arbitrary than the other.

Am I the only one here who notes the irony of someone getting their feelings hurt here for being called a name and requesting the offender be banned when the offended party was being called out for advocating violation of FAA safety regulations?

16. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Fun

Let's all charter a plane together. I'll bring the video camera.

17. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I'm sorry, but the title of this thread made me laugh. "iPhones on a plane".

18. iPhelim macrumors regular

Fair point, but maybe you don't listen to music or appreciate beautiful moments so perhaps we can't expect you to understand.

I'm not even sure what the FAA is.... but anyway, while i don't doubt that you are correct i'm now scouring the internet trying to find written regulations from any air travel regulating authority which specifically ban the use of electronic and mobile equipment in certain conditions, just so i can see the exact wording.

So far i've found this article about a guy who was screamed at and almost arrested for using his iPhone in airplane mode on a flight: http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9796512-37.html

A most intriguing way of looking at something that actually hasn't happened in the thread, what are you referring to?

That's what drew me to it!

19. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

With the iPod it is more a question of YOU CAN'T TURN IT OFF! The PowerBook is old and takes about 3 minutes (and extra battery life) to start up, sleeping is much more convienent and save the battery life of a startup.

TEG

20. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

The irony of you complaining about someone breaking the rules on a message board whilst condoning an activity that could potentially endanger your fellow passengers is staggering.

Whether or not Mythbusters or the web or some bloke down the pub told you it was OK is irrelevant, the rule is in place for public safety and exists because your devices have not been thoroughly tested for spurious emissions and succeptability to RF. Therefore, although the risk of interference is extremely small, it exists.

Of course you can always say sorry to your fellow passengers afterwards except that's going to be difficult given the extremely high fatality rates involved in airplane crashes. Alternatively you could just not be [name-calling removed by moderator] and show some consideration for your fellow travellers.

Just a thought.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I left mine in Normal mode when I went on a trip to Los Angeles. No, I didn't do it on purpose, I forgot, since my flight was delayed and it was evening...ughhh.

Enough to say that I had AT&T signal at the end/start of the flight, when we started to reach cruising altitude EDGE went to GPRS and then 5 secs later nothing. Then 2 mins into the flight AT&T network went from 5 bars to 2 bars. 2 more minutes later siganl was one bar/no service. 40 secs later, NO SERVICE.

So if you are on a plane and forget to turn your iPhone off, you have limited time to make a (secret/illegal/free) call. (Illegal, cuase your not supposed to use a phone inside an airlifted plane...Secret, cause you better hope those flight attendants don't catch ya...and Free, cause the plane call service is $5.00 connection fee + $10.00 per minute.)

your thoughts...

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I just made a roundtrip flight from Denver to Los Angeles this past weekend and had no problem using my iPhone. Nobody said anything to me about it.

23. squirrelbrand macrumors newbie

Yes! It Happened To Me Once.

Going to San Jose at night...AA MD80...the captain made an announcement citing electronic interference in the cockpit that was causing navigation system to have problems. He asked everyone, regardless of what the device was, to turn off that device. After five announcements he came on and said the interference stopped. Then, we all had to write down the make and model of our devices for him to submit to the FAA. Strange.

Also, was told to turn the iPhone completely off (read: turn off even airplane mode) for takeoff/landing.

24. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Hi, so, yeah, the thing is a little something called constructive interference and also the electronics in a plane aren't just at the front, there are several miles of wiring that goes into an airplane, it isn't all in the cabin.

Problem is, most people seem to think rules are arbitrary when really they just don't understand why the rule is in place and find it inconvenient.

Please, use the thing between your ears, don't disobey for personal pleasure when you could possibly be putting others safety at stake.

Cheers.

25. rayward macrumors 68000

Of course you can turn an iPod off. You press and hold the play button.

And three minutes of your time, plus some extra juice from your battery, is justification enough for you to ignore some simple and barely inconvenient regulations (which you agreed to follow when you bought the ticket)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.