Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Questions about Apple Scripting.

mackaveli

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
Hi, i just have a basic question about scripting since im not too familiar with it.

i was just wondering if its possible to write a script so i have an audio file play on quicktime and a video file play with VLC player so they sync up together. IF so, is it easy to write a script like this?

thanks

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
In general terms this is very difficult. If one app stutters then the other would need to be paused foe exactly the right amount of time.

I don't think you will be able to get a good solution in AppleScript. The best you might get is to be able to script the starting of the 2 files in the 2 apps so as they occur at the same time (give or take a few milliseconds).

mackaveli

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
robbieduncan said:
In general terms this is very difficult. If one app stutters then the other would need to be paused foe exactly the right amount of time.

I don't think you will be able to get a good solution in AppleScript. The best you might get is to be able to script the starting of the 2 files in the 2 apps so as they occur at the same time (give or take a few milliseconds).

thanks, yah i figured that but just wanted to make sure. I just manually press play/pause until they sync up. Thanks for the response

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
Just a thought... how about you play them both in Quicktime? If it's an obscure format, someone's probably written a plugin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.