Questions about hooking up a MBP to an external monitor...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lifeguy, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Lifeguy macrumors member

Hello,

So I'm interested in hooking up my MBP to an external monitor and giving it more of a desktop feel. I haven't bought the monitor yet but I'm thinking about going with a Samsung (since I don't like Apple's current line of glossy LEDs)

I was wondering if there are any disadvantages to hooking up a laptop to a monitor as opposed to hooking up a desktop to a monitor. Are there any performance or resolution issues? I'm mainly doing this to play a few games (StarCraft 2 and a few other Blizzard games) and would prefer to play on a larger display.

I was also wondering if there's an easy way to have my MBP lid closed and put away while using the external monitor/keyboard/mouse. Will I have to leave the laptop lid open in order to use everything?

Thanks in advance

2. celticpride678

No, there is no performance drop. No affect at all.

As for keeping your Mac's display open, you can use InsomniacX (free)

3. coasterider macrumors regular

Its all possible. I use my MBP 13 with a 24 inch Dell monitor at full resolution. Not sure about the lid closed although I did come across a bug when the computer is asleep and closed and I pull out a USB from the port the external monitor turns back on and is the main screen..

4. Lifeguy thread starter macrumors member

Assuming I can keep the lid closed while using the external monitor. Will I have to open the computer and hit the power button every time I have to turn the computer on. Is there anyway around this to keep the MBP closed at all times?

Thanks

5. coasterider macrumors regular

If the monitor is set as the main desktop then you can do it from the top bar.

6. Lifeguy thread starter macrumors member

I meant when the computer is already shutdown. Is there anyway to turn on the computer without opening the MBP lid and pressing the power button?

Also, any good recommendations for a 20"-24" external matte monitor? Is there anything I should look out for when purchasing one?

7. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

You will always have to turn on the MBP with the lid open, as the button is inside, as long as I know there's no way to turn it on without hitting the power button.

8. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

Just set the mac to always sleep and the you will never need to open the system at all.