questions about how to connect bookshelf speakers to laptop

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by rewindingroad, Jul 2, 2008.

1. rewindingroad macrumors newbie

Hello.

I have a logitech z2300 speaker system, and i am looking to replace the satellite speakers. but the subwoofer works fine. so i was thinking of getting Sony SS-b1000 bookshelf speakers. Is it possible to connect the sony bookshelf speakers to my z2300 subwoofer and connect them to my laptop?

If that is not possible, then i was thinking of getting Sony SA-W3000 subwoofer, and connect the SS-b1000 speakers to the sa-w3000 subwoofer and connect it to my laptop.....is this possible also?

thanks.

2. fntoy.com macrumors newbie

heh .... i have the same problem!:(
    -------------------------------
    fntoy.com

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I would not go for Sony bookshelf speakers. Sony have never made a proper pair of speakers (although they did rebadge some B&W speakers years ago).

I would very strongly recommend you look elsewhere - B&W are the company I swear by, although I also keep hearing good things about Klipsch.

As far as the speakers go, you'll need an amp to drive them, I recommend Rotel if you buy a pair of B&Ws, or Nad if you buy a pair of Klipsches.

Also, there will be no need for your Logitech sub if you get a proper pair of bookshelf speakers - I know mine easily outperform the biggest/best Logitech systems.

4. DJJONES macrumors 6502

get 2 krk rp5's with a 1/8inch to stereo rca cable. that would be a simple solution. the krk's have built in powered amp. so no need to get a amp.

but if you want to connect those bookshelfs what you need is a stereo power amplifier.
    then you need that same 1/8inch headphone to streo rca cable, run that to an input on the amp. connect your book shelfs with speaker wire.
    you should be good to go.

just make sure that you connect to an audio output on the mac.