Questions about iPhone 5 screen replacement(Apple Store)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphone46, Sep 27, 2013.

1. iphone46 macrumors regular

I recently shattered my iPhone 5. I found out that my store does the $149 screen repair. I heard that the machine that does it simply scrapes off the old digitizer and puts a new one on and that sometimes the calibration fails. If the calibration fails, you immediately have to pay for a refurb phone($229 vs $149). I was wondering if anyone who has had their screen repaired at the apple store has had the calibration fail? I don't want to take the risk if its highly likely that I will be buying another phone.

2. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

I have never heard of that before. As far as I am aware you should only pay the price for the screen.

3. yateseyd1991 macrumors regular

Not true, an official Apple store will replace the whole front LCD/Digitiser assembly including the home button, front camera and plastic frame.

:apple: iPhone 5 32GB White, rMBP 13" i5/8/256GB, iPad 3 16GB, iPod 5.5G 240GB, Shure SE425's :apple:

4. iphone46 thread starter macrumors regular

Really sorry for bumping this topic but I felt like starting another thread about this would be unnecessary. Well, someone ran into me on the street the other day and even with my case, A LOT of glass fell out. Anyways, there is glass missing over the LCD. I saw this on the Apple website "Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces.." Do you think this would mean I'm ineligible for repairs because technically the phone is in one piece and it still works PERFECTLY? It cracked in a case so there is no scuffs or anything on the rest of the device.
    Also, I just was wondering if anyone could tell me there experience with the Apple store screen repair? Sorry, it's a long drive for me so I want to make sure I don't drive out only to find out it is ineligible for repair.

5. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

I would think glass breaking and falling off would be considered normal, that's what glass does... Could you bring the pieces with you?