Questions about porting from AT&T to Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by havoc315, Sep 7, 2012.

1. havoc315 macrumors newbie

My wife has a iPhone on Verizon, still under contract. I have an AT&T iPhone, no longer under contract.

I plan to upgrade to the new iPhone, switch to Verizon, and would like to put it on a share plan with my wife's iPhone.

So, to accomplish this, is it easiest to order the new iphone once released, through her existing Verizon account? Or just as simple to just buy a Verizon iphone from Apple?

And then when setting up, will I have a chance to port the number and add it to an existing account? Or will I have to get a new number, and then contact Verizon about switching numbers? And combining plans?

I've seen some information online about getting a new Verizon phone number, and then going in to the store or calling to have the old AT&T number ported. So is there no way to port the number during iTunes activation?

2. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

You can setup the new line either way. We do this at work all the time. If you get a new phone with Verizon and then call up a week later to port your AT&T line it works just as well as porting during the initial order/setup.

For iTunes activation there is nothing involving your cellular account, so you don't have any porting options from the application.

3. havoc315 thread starter macrumors newbie

So if you can't do it through itunes, how do you port during the initial order/setup?

4. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

You have Verizon do the port when you order the phone either on the phone or in the store. Not sure how it is done through the web since our orders are done via email or phone with our rep. Then your number is on the phone before you even plug it into iTunes.

5. havoc315 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help. Anyone know about doing it when ordering online?

6. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

When ordering through the Apple Store you can add a line to an existing account or create a new account, one or two steps in it'll ask if you want to transfer an existing number. There you'll enter your phone number, account number (AT&T), and account password. When you receive the phone there should be some activation instructions included, and your AT&T iPhone will work up until you activate the Verizon iPhone, completing the port.