Questions about selling my 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sl33t, Sep 8, 2013.

1. sl33t macrumors regular

I am currently using an iPhone 4S with ATT. My 2 year contract does not expire until November. However, I wish to sell my iPhone now because the value will go down when the new iPhone is announced. My friend has an ATT iPhone that they will lend me for a couple months until I buy the new iPhone. I have never sold a phone before. Do I simply just restore it back to factory settings and remove my SIM card? If I put my SIM card into the iPhone I am borrowing will I just be able to use it and my number will roll over to that phone? If anyone has experience selling their iPhone before their contract with ATT is up please let me know what I need to do.

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Your service contract simply follows the SIM card, not the phone you are using.

Simply remove your SIM, restore your 4s to factory settings with iTunes (don't restore from a backup), pop your sim into the new iPhone you are borrowing and you're good to go :)

3. sl33t thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thank you for the quick and helpful reply.

4. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

Give this guide a look, it's what I'm going off of.
    Prepare an iPhone for sale

5. sl33t thread starter macrumors regular

After giving it some more thought I've come up with a couple more questions that I need answered. My iPhone is currently on iOS 7 beta, should I leave iOS 7 on it when I sell it or restore it back to 6.1.3? Also, is there a way I can backup my friend's data on the borrowed phone to my computer, sync all of my data, then restore to the backup of my friend's data once I'm done borrowing the phone?

6. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Restore to 6.1.3.
    Yes, just backup your borrowed friends phone, then restore. Sync all of your data with iTunes, then when you're ready, restore the phone and restore from his backup.

7. sl33t thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, thanks for the help.