Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vin365

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2009
I'm selling my out of contract iPhone 4 to a friend (their carrier is T-Mobile), was just wondering how the unlocking process worked? Does it cost money and do I need to unlock it before I upgrade to my iPhone 5 tonight? If so will anything be affected? Thanks

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
thank you, should I wait till after i purchase my 5 (I don't want to mess anything up) or will it not work after?

I would unlock before you purchase the 5. A friend of mine waited until after, and got a little bit of a runaround although she finally did get her 4 unlocked.

Vin365

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2009
I would unlock before you purchase the 5. A friend of mine waited until after, and got a little bit of a runaround although she finally did get her 4 unlocked.

thanks for the info. Would it make a difference either way since it says it takes 5-7 days to complete the request and I will be activating my 5 tonight?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
thank you, should I wait till after i purchase my 5 (I don't want to mess anything up) or will it not work after?

It shouldnt make any difference.
It has nothing to do with your plan and wont mess up anything on the account.
As long as you are out of contract they wont deny you.
Out of contract and upgrade eligable are not the same though.
Most of the times you're due for an update 3-4 months before you contracts final day.

Vin365

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2009
It shouldnt make any difference.
It has nothing to do with your plan and wont mess up anything on the account.
As long as you are out of contract they wont deny you.
Out of contract and upgrade eligable are not the same though.
Most of the times you're due for an update 3-4 months before you contracts final day.

Okay great thanks :)
i have a launch 4 so it is most def. out of contract haha :D

So I just fill this form out and they will email me letting me know if I am eligible?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Okay great thanks :)
i have a launch 4 so it is most def. out of contract haha :D

So I just fill this form out and they will email me letting me know if I am eligible?

Cool, then you're good.
Yes, they will email you right away to let you know they received your request and then 3-4 days later or a week the latest you should receive the unlock confirmation email.
Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.