Resolved Questions about upgrade process and benefits from upgrade 4.1 to 5.1.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ka-spot, Jun 12, 2012.

1. ka-spot, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

ka-spot macrumors 6502a

I own factory unlocked iPhone 4 and I want to upgrade from 4.1 to 5.1.1, but I'm afraid of losing data.

What are the benefits of upgrading from 4.1 to 5.1.1?

And about JB process, if I undarstend correctly:
    1. I must backup my iPhone with iTunes.
    2. Upgrade to 5.1.1 over iTunes.
    3. JB using Absinthe.
    4. Restore backup.

The 4th step will restore my apps (Notemaster with all notes, FruitNinja, etc.), all contacts (phones, names, etc), camera pictures and music/video. Is this correct?

And last: Is there serious risk of losing any data?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The only issues that I am aware of are photostream problems. Some people aren't able to download all of their photstream content on their 5.1.1 upgraded device. Since 4.x didn't have photostream, this may not even be an issue for you.

As far as app data I have found that to be hit or miss. Some apps will save data, some will not. This seems to be the same whether you use iCloud backup or backup to an actual computer.

I guess what it boils down to is what sort of data you are worried about losing. I haven't found iOS to be nearly as good at keeping all of your data after an OS upgrade as oSX (or other desktop OSs really). When upgrading OSs on iOS you are basically doing a clean install of the OS every time (I cannot speak for OTA updates in iOS as I have never tried those).

3. praktical macrumors regular

praktical

iOS 5.1.1 Photo Stream issues

To date Apple has still not resolved this problem:confused:

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I have restored iPhone 4's multiple times, never had an issue with Photostream.