Questions for fans of "At The Movies" a/k/a Siskel & Ebert (& Roeper)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kavika411, Sep 8, 2008.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I really enjoyed this show, and have been watching it since the early eighties. Does anyone really understand the new direction of the show? I'm not being rhetorical; I simply don't understand what Disney is trying to do to it or with it. I don't know who these two new guys are, or when it starts. I'm interested if anyone who has followed this show through the years (or perhaps decades) understands any of this.

Lastly, my DVR failed to tape the final Ebert & Roeper episode a couple of weeks ago. I've scoured the internet to find it, but can't. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks.

2. wasjoe macrumors newbie

Your timing is good. The new guys debuted over the weekend (9/6 - 9/7, depending on where you live and what channel you watch them on). Their website has chunks of the first episode available for streaming today.

As for the rationale, it appears that Disney (Buena Vista Television) was pushing for changes that neither Ebert nor Roeper wanted to do. Both have hinted that they may end up in a competing show, but I haven't heard anything more about that.

Ebert owned a lot of the rights, and the abandonment of the thumbs was because he refused to play ball with Disney. I haven't seen details about that.

As for the last Roeper episode (obviously sans Ebert), the website has an extensive-looking archive, which likely has the reviews from that episode for streaming.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If Disney (Buena Vista Television) owns them, how unbiased can they be??

I'm with Gene on this one. Time to strike out on your own again, son.

As to taking Roeper with you .... meh.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Roeper has said that he is going to start a new show that will be in the spirit of the original Siskel & Ebert version.