Questions for iPad 2 owners who upgraded from the original

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cory Bauer, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

Hey iPad 2 owners, I have some unanswered questions regarding the iPad 2 and how a few things compare to the original. I thought maybe those of you who own both could help.

First up, Wi-Fi reception. Is it any better than the original, or just as poor? I'm talking about how far you can get from the router before losing signal, or how much signal you get at the farthest point away. My original iPad (delivered on launch day) is pretty poor in comparison to my iPhone 4 or Macbook Pro.

Secondly, off-angle viewing. While most reviews say the screen is virtually identical, Gizmodo claims (with photo evidence) that the off-angle viewing of the iPad 2 is actually considerably better. Has anyone else made this observation? Or did Gizmodo perhaps have a faulty iPad 1 and not realize it until they received their iPad 2?

Lastly, do fingerprints show as badly on the iPad 2 as they did on the original? This is an area where I was really hoping they could make improvement, as the iPhone 4 seems to fair much better in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

2. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

I'd say the off angle is better as well. I had the original and the off-angle is noticeably better. I find the screen to be a bit brighter as well, but the fingerprints I haven't noticed a difference because I have been cleaning with regularity.

3. zenio macrumors 6502

Wifi has never been one of Apples strengths even when using a full "Airport system like I do. My iPad2 vs iPad1 comparison reveals only marginally better performance in certain areas only.

Overall as is typical of Apple, it's below average as compared to my Linksys network & PC's.

Viewing angles are somewhat better and fingerprints are the same.

4. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Off angle viewing is definately better. The text is sharp and clear all the way to the side. Finger prints and WiFi the same as far as I can tell.

5. Cory Bauer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everybody. So off-angle viewing is a definite improvement, but wi-fi and fingerprints are the same as iPad 1. That leaves me with even less reasons to upgrade.

6. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

There are other reasons to upgrade: hdmi mirroring, facetime with bigger view,better multi-tasking with better horse power, better gaming device, smart cover that makes it more convenient.

7. gr8tfly, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It might be the slightly thinner glass has something to do with any improvement seen in viewing angle. I haven't noticed any difference (though I haven't had them both on at the same time very much).

I haven't noticed any difference in wifi performance, but I haven't tried running either at any considerable distance from the AEBS, which is set to 5GHz only. There is a different antenna design between the first and second: the first gen had one antenna in the left front (the glass is its RF window). It also had a second antenna behind the Apple logo in the back. I suppose, in a weak signal situation, the original iPad might have an advantage. The iPad 2 has two antennas, both in the front on either side of the home button. I believe the 3G model has a third antenna in the same area as the 3G antenna.

It's very difficult to say whether there is a real difference based on anecdotal evidence. The only scientific method would be to put them both in an anechoic chamber setup for RF testing (like the ones Apple was showing off when the iPhone 4's antenna was under fire).

On the other hand, people with both iPads could try making note of their relative "bars" from the same location, position, and environment (how it's held, for instance). That still isn't all that accurate, but if enough show the same results, it might point to some real difference between the two models. Even then, I wouldn't expect any, except on the edge of a particular base station's coverage.

As mentioned by yodaxl7, there are many reasons to upgrade. The speed improvement is dramatic. As smooth as the first gen was, this is a whole new iPad. Also, the increase in RAM really helps - Safari doesnt have to reload pages near as often, and when multitasking, apps can stay in their fast app switch mode, without getting dumped and needing to be reloaded. It really helps those of us who do a lot if switching. Any lag while typing is now gone. The thinner and lighter isn't bad either. Both are very noticeable. For instance: even though the weight difference isn't much in lbs, but the percentage is what gets noticed. I can tell it's lighter when holding the iPad 2 for a while.

Both devices are great. I used my iPad 1 daily since it's launch from almost a year ago. After using the iPad2 for just a few days, it really feels like a new experience. Everything is much smoother and more responsive.

Anyway, enjoy whichever one you get. The original is still the amazing device it was on 3/10.

8. Cory Bauer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys. I'm well aware of the documented upgrades and improvements of the iPad 2, but in my opinion they aren't quite enough to make it a "must-have" upgrade. I may still end up getting one, but if the iPad 2 had some undocumented improvement like improved wi-fi reception, it would have made my decision much easier. I've played with one in-store and the new design feels great. The improved speed however doesn't always come across; looking at the side-by-side performance tests on YouTube, the difference is often merely a second or two between the iPad and iPad 2.

9. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

1) I find Wifi reception distance, how far I can get from the router is more so (90%) a router issue, the better your router's range the further you can use it.

2) Personally, I do find the viewing angle (better) and fingerprint-resistance(slightly better) are improved.

10. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

11. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Here's a tip: fine to stick with ipad 1 bc I agree that this isn't a critical update. Just don't play around with the ipad 2 too much or you'll be in trouble. :) To me, the experience is appreciably nicer

12. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

Wifi is much better for me than the original,viewing is about the same.

13. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    The new screen must have a new/better coating, because fingerprints come off MUCH easier than the previous model.