Questions for those who obsess over organizing albums/catalogues.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by kavika411, Feb 29, 2008.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Fair warning: This will be a very dull post for anyone who doesn't have an unhealthy obsession for organizing their albums/catalogues. Question: Do you group all of your b-sides and singles into a virtual album to prevent redundency? Do you just leave singles/b-sides alone? Thanks.

2. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I leave them alone. For example, If I have a b-side that was only available on a CD single, then the album for that song would be the name of the a-side single. For example:

Artist: Pearl Jam
    B-Side Song: Alone
    B-Side Album: Go (Single)

I try to keep my library as accurate as possible.

EDIT: I don't like dup songs either, so if I have the a-side on the proper album, then I delete the a-side from the single "album". For groups that I have a bunch of b-sides, I have a bunch of albums under that artist. I like it that way because then I can have the art for each single that I have at least 1 track from. It does make cover flow a bit cluttered for certain artists, but I rarely use cover flow!

3. rlnhrt macrumors newbie

I obsess for having perfectly organized my albums, but I also obsess for having only whole albums and only official releases.

So, if i have an official release of b-sides in their own album (like sawdust from the killers) i keep them.

I erase everything else.

If you really want to keep your b-sides, singles and rarities i guess my post doesn't really help you much :eek: lol

4. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Actually, your post, and the one above it, are quite helpful. Like you, I do obsess over keeping a perfectly organized library. There are two things I don't like; duplicates of songs, and too much cover art in coverflow. As an example of both of those situations, I have probably fifteen Radiohead singles. That means that I have at least fifteen duplicate songs. That also means that I have around twenty-two "albums" - in terms of coverflow - but only seven of those are actual albums. So, what I've started doing is: (1) erase the a-side of the single (because it is a duplicate of the album song); (2) rename the "album" for the b-side - call it "B-Sides". That turns fifteen "albums" in coverflow into one single "album". So, when I scroll through coverflow, I will see their seven proper albums, plus an album called B-Sides.

I like that because it seems much tidier. The down side is that I feel like I am fixing something that was never broken.

5. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

If i have loads of singles of a certain band, like radiohead or blur (over 80 bsides :eek:), i'll put them in a 'fake' b-sides album, for my thumb's sake when using my ipod.

If only a couple for a certain band, they're put under their actual cd single's name... yes i admit to being obsessive over my iTunes library, but tbh it's asking for it with that big tabular interface!!

6. kepner macrumors 6502

I just leave the album tag blank for all the b-sides, extras, non-album tracks, etc.

7. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I don't like too many albums with one or two songs - b sides go in whichever album the a side is on.

I don't like duplicates, (messes up playcounts), so they get eliminated. And double albums get combined.