Questions on iPhone 5 A1429 CDMA Version

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IO01, Oct 16, 2012.

1. IO01 macrumors member

My cousin has asked me to get an unlocked iPhone 5 for her and her husband. We are all Korean (I was born and raised in the US, while she and her husband were born in Korea and currently lives in Kazakhstan). I have googled and read through different threads here, and I'm looking for confirmation on the info I've read so far about the A1429 CDMA version:

* It is GSM unlocked.

* It uses LTE bands compatible with the ones in Europe and Asia.

The big question is this: if I buy a "device only" A1429 CDMA version in the US, for my cousin and her husband, will they be able to utilize LTE in Korea? (There is no LTE in Kazakhstan IIRC, so that's not an issue.) It sounds like the answer will be no, but I haven't found any forum post or webpage saying that for certain. If there is anyone here who bought the A1429 CDMA version in the US and is currently using it overseas, I would appreciate if you could reply.

This all presupposes that I can even buy a "device only" A1429 CDMA version at my Apple Store. If this ends up not being an option, my cousin and her husband will have to wait for the official unlocked version, which I understand will come in mid-November. But which official unlocked version will come out in the US? Will it be based on the A1428 GSM version or the A1429 GSM version? Any news about this?

2. iPhoneBangla macrumors member

Bought Verizon iPhone 5, not full price but subsidized, travelled to Bangladesh and inserted local SIM, GSM Edge and 3G, works fine, phone unlocked. Had to cut local SIM to nano size. Also, tested on T-mobile, works fine and also picks up 3G in some areas

3. Lyshen macrumors 6502

You can buy device only VZ 1429 CDMA model from Apple Stores. I did, using on VZ as month to month. It really is more along the question of, finding a store with it in stock.

Will be traveling to Asia in the future but not this year.

As for 1429 GSM model, I doubt they will sell it in US.