Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

denisbarbov

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
Hey, people. First I want to say Happy New Year.
My old computer is showing it's age 2, 5 years(Samsung RV508; 3GB RAM;500 GB HDD 5400rpm; Intel Pentium) and around March I will be getting a new one. I plan it to be the 13" rMBP. I will be using it for normal stuff most of the time like web browsing, watch videos, listen to music, word and PowerPoint and occasionally some video editing in After effects and Maya 3d.
I plan on getting the 16 GB RAM;2.6 i5 and 256/512 ssd.
Though I have several questions:
1. Does it get hot?
2. Will it do the stuff I need, considering my computer cannot do any of this - just crashes?
3. What's the battery life like?
4. Are the speakers good?
5. When do you think the returns will come out/
6. Does the extended apple care protection plan cover dropping the device?
7. Will it have any problems syncing LUMIA 920?

Thanks for the answers in advance!

P.S: Sorry for the stupid questions. Maybe it is because I am a first timer MAC.
P.S: I don't need the bigger screen on the 15 because I will probably use an external monitor.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
My old computer is showing it's age 2, 5 years(Samsung RV508; 3GB RAM;500 GB HDD 5400rpm; Intel Pentium) and around March I will be getting a new one. I plan it to be the 13" rMBP. I will be using it for normal stuff most of the time like web browsing, watch videos, listen to music, word and PowerPoint and occasionally some video editing in After effects and Maya 3d.
1. Does it get hot?
2. Will it do the stuff I need, considering my computer cannot do any of this - just crashes?

P.S: Sorry for the stupid questions. Maybe it is because I am a first timer MAC.
P.S: I don't need the bigger screen on the 15 because I will probably use an external monitor.
3. battery life depends on what you run on it.
5 if by returns you mean refurb..depends
6 - Apple care does not cover dropping or accidental damage.

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
1. Does it get hot?

1. It might seem hotter than a plastic body Windows laptop in the beginning, but you'll get used to it. It has a more efficient cooling system than most Windows laptop.
2. It'll easily be able to handle all of your listed tasks.
3. Coming from an old Windows laptop, the battery life will blow you away. You'll easily get an average of 6 hours with standard workload.
4. The speakers are sufficient for most uses, but don't expect to use it at a party.
5. ???
6. No idea.
7. I'm sure that there won't be any device specific issues. I'm sure there is an OS X utility for Windows Phone 8.

You're making a wonderful choice with 16GB RAM and the processor. Best of luck.

Regards
Raptor

MUrhino

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Do you think the above specs of the 13" will be enough to run smoothly as a main machine for the next 4-5 years? I have a 24" Cinema Display and may want to do some HD video editing/light gaming here and there, otherwise I'm mainly using it for music/movies/iLife/internet/photo editing and maybe some video compression w/ MakeMKV & Handbrake.

I picked up the 15" beast yesterday w/ 16 GB RAM and a 512 SSD, but now feel I may have too much machine for my needs over the next 4-5 yrs. Basically it's a $600 price difference between the 13" (2.6 GHz dual-core i5, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD) and the 15" (2.3 GHz quad-core, same RAM and SSD). I do travel about once a month, but don't always bring my laptop.

Thanks for your input!

commac

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2013
1. Does it get hot?

1. Would get hot gaming or pushing it with video editing or Maya.
2. Maya and After Effects would be pushing it but light usage should be fine.
3. Nice battery. 9-10 hours on light browsing.
4. Ok speakers but not great.
5. No idea
6. I assume not but theyre known to be sympathetic if in a good mood and if youre nice.
7. http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/How-to/wp8/windows-phone-app-for-mac

If you're serious about Maya, After Effects and Video editing you'd be better off with the 15".

Do you think the above specs of the 13" will be enough to run smoothly as a main machine for the next 4-5 years? I have a 24" Cinema Display and may want to do some HD video editing/light gaming here and there, otherwise I'm mainly using it for music/movies/iLife/internet/photo editing and maybe some video compression w/ MakeMKV & Handbrake.

I picked up the 15" beast yesterday w/ 16 GB RAM and a 512 SSD, but now feel I may have too much machine for my needs over the next 4-5 yrs. Basically it's a $600 price difference between the 13" (2.6 GHz dual-core i5, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD) and the 15" (2.3 GHz quad-core, same RAM and SSD). I do travel about once a month, but don't always bring my laptop.

If you're serious about HD video editing and gaming the 15" is better especially in the long run. Travelling once a month isnt much but the 13" is very cute and will actually run smoother on your external monitor with the laptop screen closed. The main differences are screen size, form factor, quad core vs dual core (Quad makes multi tasking power programs smoother). Last but not least the video card in the 15 (even the base 15) is considerably better than the 13.

Last edited:

denisbarbov

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
1. Would get hot gaming or pushing it with video editing or Maya.
2. Maya and After Effects would be pushing it but light usage should be fine.
3. Nice battery. 9-10 hours on light browsing.
4. Ok speakers but not great.
5. No idea
6. I assume not but theyre known to be sympathetic if in a good mood and if youre nice.
7. http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/How-to/wp8/windows-phone-app-for-mac

If you're serious about Maya, After Effects and Video editing you'd be better off with the 15.

Well I will edit like 5 minute videos. And Maya I will use like 3 times a month After Effects a few times a week. Do you think that the base 15 with 16Ram will be better than the maxed out 13"?

zI INFINITY Iz

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2013
Well I will edit like 5 minute videos. And Maya I will use like 3 times a month After Effects a few times a week. Do you think that the base 15 with 16Ram will be better than the maxed out 13"?

If the base 15" will be better? Yes, for sure. Is that improvement worth it? That's the question.

CPU wise: 2.8GHz (dual core) vs 2.0GHz (quad core)
comparison between the 2 The 2.8GHz dual core might have a tiny bit better single core performance, but that's it. Overall, the 2GHz 4750HQ (base 15") is better.

GPU wise: Intel Iris vs Intel Iris Pro. To make a long story short: the 15" has a considerably stronger iGPU.

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
I own both the 13" and 15" rMBP myself so.. here's an honest answer from me:

1. Does it get hot?
For normal usage, it's super cool. (30-40 Celsius), for maya and video editing, nope.
It should be sufficient for short video editing. You won't get a "smooth, fluid" edit though.
5-6 hours Youtube Video, 8-9 hours normal word processing + facebook
The speakers are excellent for a notebook.
???
no.. not at all.. it only covers hardware failures.. no accidental coverage.
I can't answer that for you. I don't own one.

denisbarbov

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
I own both the 13" and 15" rMBP myself so.. here's an honest answer from me:

1. Does it get hot?
For normal usage, it's super cool. (30-40 Celsius), for maya and video editing, nope.
It should be sufficient for short video editing. You won't get a "smooth, fluid" edit though.
5-6 hours Youtube Video, 8-9 hours normal word processing + facebook
The speakers are excellent for a notebook.
???
no.. not at all.. it only covers hardware failures.. no accidental coverage.
I can't answer that for you. I don't own one.

Why wouldn't it work for video editing and maya? I mean I will edit like max 5 minutes clips. ;d And about Maya I don't think I would use it often. I am not a professional.Just for home made videos. ;d Oh, and under returns I meant Refurbs. :) Do you think the computer will do the job? :)

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
Why wouldn't it work for video editing and maya? I mean I will edit like max 5 minutes clips. ;d And about Maya I don't think I would use it often. I am not a professional.Just for home made videos. ;d Oh, and under returns I meant Refurbs. :) Do you think the computer will do the job? :)

I guess for 5 minutes maya it would be sufficient. What I meant in my case is the editing will suffer in terms of jittery lags of the interface due to lack of GPU processing. So, if you're considering to go professional or more demanding video editing and graphical intensive tasks, then I would highly recommend a 15" always. :p because that jittery interface lag is extremely frustrating and can lead the app to crash. :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.