Questions, one for me one for a friend.

aristademis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
My friend is considering buying a 2000 G3 Powerbook from a friend. It is a 333 mhz, 64 MB RAM. His friend is offering to sell it for $500. Is this a good buy? I can't remember the other specs off hand.

Also, should I even waste my time buying anti virus software for my iBook? I get an ed discount and get two software titles per year discounted. So far, I am getting OS X.2. That means I get another one. Should I get antivirus software or just get something cool like Flash?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
MacApps.com Discussion? I don't think so...

Is it really that hard to post what are obviestly questions in the Mac Help/Questions forum? :rolleyes:

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by aristademis
Apologies, friend. However I did not find such a forum off of the main page.
That's ok, it's not a big deal...just irritating.
As for the anti-virus, i wouldn't worry, there are very few viruses around that attack OS X, and if you get yourself a .Mac subscription you get anti-virus (Virex 7.0) as part of the package (along with your .mac email, 100Mb iDisk, HomePage etc).

[edit]
BTW...Main page ;)
[/edit]

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
Re: Questions, one for me one for a friend.

Also, should I even waste my time buying anti virus software for my iBook? I get an ed discount and get two software titles per year discounted. So far, I am getting OS X.2. That means I get another one. Should I get antivirus software or just get something cool like Flash?
If you have an educational discount, I suggest you get the Macromedia Studio MX suite. It has Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks, and Freehand. The educational version of Flash will cost about $99, but you can get the entire MX suite for an extra $100.

As for anti-virus software, it might not be worth it if you're getting a Mac since so few viruses are written to infect a Mac. Also, if you use common sense in handling files from unknown sources (i.e. don't click those .exe or whatever files from strangers!) you should be OK.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Re: Questions, one for me one for a friend.

My friend is considering buying a 2000 G3 Powerbook from a friend. It is a 333 mhz, 64 MB RAM. His friend is offering to sell it for $500.
that doesn't sound like a 2000 PBook to me. the pismo (min. 400 MHz) came out in feb 2000.

probably a lombard and released in 99.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Lombard

Yes, it is a Lombard. 333 Mhz, CD-ROM, SCSI port on the back, etc.., and yes, it would have been released in 1999. Still a good machine, but slightly inferior to the Pismo.

Gus

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I would recommend running OS 9 on it, because unless it has a
lot of RAM, OS X is going to be very choppy.:(

Other then that, it is a good machine :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.