Questions re: geo-fencing (do I need to keep FF running?) ...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cmeisenzahl, Apr 3, 2013.

1. cmeisenzahl, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013

cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

I have Find Friends working with my father's and wife's iPhones. They can track me and I can track them with no problems. (I'm using the iPhone 5, they are on the 4)

I've setup a few alerts in the app, both the "when they leave" and "when they arrive" types. I know that the events have happened several times.

Two questions:

1. I've yet to see an alert on my phone notifying me of the events. Do I have to be actively running and signed-in to Find Friends on my phone to get the alerts?

2. How much will it run down the battery of the phone being geo-fenced? Does it just leave Location Services on? Or just check it periodically? Something else?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

1. You shouldn't have to have the app running in the background but you should be signed in to Find my Friends in order to receive the notifications.

2. Geo-fencing is constantly using the phone's location so it is a pretty big battery drainer. Keep in mind that iOS shows a location arrow in the status bar when geo-fencing is being used, so your friends will know when they are being geo-fenced.

3. cmeisenzahl thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, idea. That makes sense. I was just tinkering and don't really need them. I guess I'll find a way to delete the items. Thanks again.