Questions regarding dual monitor setup (24" ACD; 23" ACD) on a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by moabon.rob, Dec 15, 2010.

1. moabon.rob macrumors member

Hello!

So I went looking through the forum (and through online searches) to find stuff about this, but my questions are more specific. I have a 23" ACD and may be getting a 24" ACD in the near future, to hook up to my Mac Pro. The 23" has a DVI connector and the 24" has a Mini DisplayPort (I believe). Given the card in my MP (5870) it would make sense to plug in the 23" to the DVI slot and the 24" to one of the Mini DisplayPort slots.

-- If the above setup is done, can I make the 24" the primary monitor (or would I need to put it into the DVI and the 23" into the MDP - which would be a complete hilarity in getting two extra cables, a DVI--MDP and an MDP--DVI)?

-- Can I use the webcam / speakers on the 24" *regardless* of whether it's the primary monitor?

Many thanks! :)

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

1) Yes you can do that. You can set the primary monitor however you want from within the Display System Preferences - simply go to the Arrangement tab and drag the menu bar to the screen you want as the main. Doesn't matter which input.

2) AFAIK yes.

3. moabon.rob thread starter macrumors member

Realised I forgot to say thanks - oops! Your information was very useful - just as I had suspected, but nice to have someone else think the same! :D