Quick activation question-

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by premierjg, Sep 30, 2012.

1. premierjg macrumors member

I upgraded one of our lines on apple.com via pre-order. Our carrier is AT&T.
    Turns out our order was not going to get delivered until 9/28. Instead of waiting I went to the apple store and bought a phone by upgrading one of my other lines, and then swapping the phone numbers.

Now the phone that I pre-ordered has come in and I want to sell it sealed in the box.

How does the buyer activate? Is this phone pre-activated on my number? Is this going to mess my service up?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. premierjg thread starter macrumors member

3. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

4. premierjg thread starter macrumors member

I am assuming you are talking about ATT? My only concern was that it came pre-activated on my line.

The buyer can do whatever they want with it, just didn't want them accessing my line and having to untangle all that mess.

5. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

You might want to call AT&T and make sure that the original order phone line isn't still tied to the iPhone. Mine was and when I activated the iPhone 5 I was asked by the iPhone if I wanted to use My Number (shown to me by the iPhone.)

Also, you might get hit with the full price since you're not activating it with one of your phone numbers. I'm not sure but you want to cover all of your bases, just in case.

6. mfram macrumors 65816

I know when I ordered my Verizon phone from Apple.com it was pre-setup with my number. I would definitely be worried if I were you.

7. ab26 macrumors newbie

This is what happens for online orders.

For security purposes, for first time activations, the person MUST input his/her billing zip code and last four of SSN. The activation of the phone will happen ONLY after entry of these two things. Once the phone has been activated, the number for which the phone was upgraded from will automatically be activated to the sim in the new phone. This means the current sim you would be using will get deactivated.

Therefore, it is not advisable to sell the phone without activating it and removing the sim (unless you are willing to give the info - ssn etc) to the buyer.