Quick cruise question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleFan360, Jan 17, 2012.

1. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

When on a cruise and using AT&T and an iphone, my plan is to:

1. Turn data roaming off
    2. Leave the phone turned on so I can make and receive calls ($2.49 per minute).

My question is: Does the ship (Royal Carribean) place another charge on top of the $2.49 per minute that AT&T is charging me?

Thanks.

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

No, they don't. How would they?

...[insert obligatory recent cruise ship crash joke].

3. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

No, but why would you want to? Enjoy your vacation!

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

1) Not Funny
    2) too Soon

5. soco macrumors 68030

soco

1) Noted for posterity.
    2) Great list.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Depending on where you go, if you make your phone calls when you're off the boat, the rates go down. Add World traveler to your package just for the trip and pull it off when you get home. Turn off data roaming and keep the phone off and only turn it on to make the calls you see as necessary. You still pay for people calling you. So if you have a MIL that calls your wife every time she sneezes, you're best to shut it off.

7. Beavis3 macrumors newbie

Based on my recollection, the ships do charge if you make calls on their cellular network. If you're at sea, that's going to be your only option and it's really expensive. I have always put mine in airplane mode and then just hopped on the ship's wifi to send and receive email (again, pretty expensive).

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Personally, I'd put it in Airplane mode and then turn wifi on (I'm assuming you can get wifi on the ship) and tell people to Skype call or Facetime you.

If they can't manage either of those things, tell them that email's the only way to reach you!

9. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Very true. Six (??) people have died, and there are approximately 500,000 gallons of diesel fuel still on board that is at serious risk for leaking into a protected marine sanctuary, and potentially causing massive damage to the island community it crashed in. The salvage crews are saying 2-4 weeks just to offload the fuel, because scrapping or righting can begin.

Don't they charge per minute for wifi on a cruise? Personally, I'd just put airplane mode on and tell people before I leave that I'M ON A BOAT.

The $2.49 is it, but there might be another charge if the OP were to make an international call from that for some reason.

I think it is free for incoming texts, and $.50 per outgoing, but check, as I'm not sure. If they are free, that would be the way for people to reach the OP.

EDIT: Wording.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No clue. Yeah, if that's the case, forget it. I kind of assumed it'd be a weekly fee or something. But who knows, you're probably right.

11. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

If I rememeber from my last cruise, they have a charge for cellular, because they are providing the connection while at sea.

They also have wi-fi available, but I believe they have several options for the wi-fi. Check with Royal Carribian, they should have some info on their website. That is who I sailed with the last time, but that has been a couple of years ago.

12. BiggAW macrumors 68020

They have a charge because they can make a crapload of money by taking people for a ride, instead of actually doing the right thing and working with US carriers to have native US service on US flagged vessels.

13. nycfly89 macrumors member

nycfly89

wifi was also insanely expensive for a set amount of minutes on my cruise.

if possible, keep the phone off and enjoy the cruise. it was THE most relaxing non-connected week ever :cool:

14. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

There is only one US Flagged Cruise ship the Norwegian Cruise Line's Pride of America..... sooooo try again

15. calvy macrumors 65816

I just went on a cruise in December on royal carribean's allure of the seas. I can tell you this: wifi and cell phone services while at seas is awful. I used wifi sparingly because it was so slow it wasn't worth my time. I turned on a 50mb international roaming plan for the month and used my phone as normal while on islands. My bill wasn't too bad when I got back. Less than 200 anyway. Just don't go crazy uploading photos.

They also rent out iPhones for use while on the ship to sort of use as 2 way radios amongst your family. They are kind of cool but don't think you'll get any Internet out of them.

16. takeshi74, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Why not check with the source?
    http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experience/html.do?exCode=805
    Keep in mind (especially note the second point!):

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/faq.jsp
    Note that while that is for international roaming, cruise ships are probably handled the same way. I'd suggest confirming directly with at&t international support.

You can avoid this by turning your device on or using airplane mode. If you want to check for voicemail then temporarily turn or your device or disable airplane mode.

17. AppleFan360 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I saw that stuff but I wanted to get some real-world experience just to make sure...people who have actually made or received calls from ships.

18. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Go to their website and they will explain the whole thing in detail. So many answers here when the website will give you facts:eek:

19. Eric0531 macrumors newbie

There are weekly packages but my recollection is that the pricing is not all that reasonable. Depending on your itinerary you might be better off just finding a wi-fi hotspot in the ports.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

There are a handful of reasons. Some people have children. Something happens, they need to know. Some people have pets. Same deal. Some people are high up in a company and need to be contactable. I would hate for my company to lose millions and my only response be "I was enjoying my vacation".

21. al0513 macrumors 6502

$2.49? If i remember correctly, my AT&T plan was much cheaper when I went on a cruise.

What I did- international roaming with 20mb package (could be wrong but got the cheapest international package $19.99 i believe, used it, and canceled it once I got back.) Also got 10 cent text messaging so I told people to either email me or text me and i would send longer text messages, no pics, no videos, no phone calls. Wifi on the ship is like $100 for 100 minutes or something.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This confuses me. Is this VOIP or something? :confused:

23. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

IIRC correctly Disney Cruise line did this. Internet and voice was beyond expensive so I just left it in Airplane mode till we got to port.

24. old-wiz macrumors G3

US flagged vessels??? I don't believe any of the cruise ships are registered in the U.S. - it costs way way too much money.

They add a surcharge to cell service and it is very expensive.

25. Eric0531 macrumors newbie

As someone mentioned up thread, NCL's Pride of America is the only major American flagged cruise ship - based in Honolulu it does seven night trips around the islands. And yeah, it's a little pricier than the typical cruise on NCL. On the upside all of the ports are in the US so no international roaming :)